summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, June 9, 2023

off we go!!!!!

 ...our trip was quite pleasant...a long line to check a bag, then through security.  I have TSA preCheck, which is totally worth $85 for five years.  You don't remove your shoes, your liquids from your bag, you just walk right through the scanner thing...but this time it beeped, and the man asked if I had a phone.  Yes, of course I do.  It's in the bin with my backpack, scooting down through the x-ray things.  He said he needed to see it.  He was busy so I just grabbed my stuff and started to leave, he called out to me like it was a federal offense, maybe it was, and asked for my phone....he took it over to his computer and wiped it down, checked it for something?  He said it was just a random check.  whatever.  land of the free.

Anyway, as I was in the preCheck line, there wasn't a specific aisle open for that, so I just waited in the line a lady who was in the regular security line saw me standing in the front of the preCheck line, and said, "Oh, are you someone special?  Do you just go ahead of me?"  Paul, who forgot to put in his own preCheck number when booking, was standing in line behind her, and told her I had preCheck.  I was NOT budging line, I was just in the correct line for me, and it merged with her line.  I don't venture to say she was snotty, but oh dear.  Are you you just getting ahead of me?  Um, no, go ahead, I told her.  She practically harrumphed.  Later in the security line, she was fussing about her cookies, worrying they. would be crushed...I told her I had packed cookies too, and hoped mine weren't getting crushed.  MINE are FROSTED, she said.  okay.  We're not going to be besties, but I don't want to fight with you, ma'am.  





We're here at Grandma's place, but she isn't here...she's at her assisted living apartment, and we're headed there soon.  Her home is sad and empty without her here.  

We're back here for a break...she had pt today, and it tired her out so we left her all settled in for a rest on the couch.  It's not easy to see her struggling, but she's strong for almost 94.  She's still very lucid, barring the short term memory problems.  

A visitor to her balcony...

She has a nice enough view.

I'm not posting any pictures of her, she would hate it.  It's the old dilemma:  what is MY story, and what infringes on on other's privacy?   I know if I asked her, she'd say NO WAY, so we'll go with that.

She's still spunky, and hilarious.  Her physical therapist was talking to her in a very loud voice, she said, "I'm not deaf.  And, I worked in physical therapy before, and also in a neurologist's office, and for a neurosurgeon."   In other words, don't treat me like a foolish old woman.  

She does forget things, she wondered why they weren't bringing lunch.  They HAD brought lunch, she ate some of it.  I reminded her, only to have her wonder again a few minutes later.  It makes me love her all the more, and feel protective of her.  She's at a really nice place though, they check on her every few hours, and everyone we met seemed nice and pleasant.  

She just wants to heal up and come home.  We'll see.  She's a strong woman.

We went to Walmart to get a step stool for her, to help her get in her bed.  We also got some snacks, and seltzers. Walmart down here is CRAZY, seems like it's filled with hundreds of people who don't know you should walk down one side of the aisle or the other.   Then we walked out into the 90 degree humid steamy horrible parking lot, and couldn't find the car...it's a Toyota Corolla rental, looks like all the other cars, but I did remember where we parked after a short wander.  (For all those years I drove a 15 passenger van, I never had to remember where we parked, you could spot that thing a mile away.)

So after a bit we'll go back and visit with Eleanor again....and shh, I think I prefer the snow to this heat.  I just melt...

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

I’m glad you arrived safe and sound. It sounds like grandma I doing pretty well considering all things.

Yes the heat in Florida at this time of year must be stifling! We were there always in March and it was plenty hot then.

Enjoy your stay!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Maureen said...

Every time I would visit my Mom in Florida and get a rental, I would inevitably have the same problem when I would go to a parking lot. It seemed like nine times out of ten, the rental would be white or silver and there would be sea of similar cars in Florida parking lots! I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!