summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

dozen donuts....

A dozen, obviously, is twelve. I brought home twelve donuts. We cut them in half. Then last night the bigger kids came in and had some....so I thought they would be gone. I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I peeked in the boxes and there were 3 and one quarter donuts left! And seeing that I am the only one up.....and I am probably the only one who likes coconut....I took the three-quarters....that leaves 2 1/2 left.....which will give the five youngest a half. My point: they are not growing up deprived, but learning to think of others. Of course, now I feel bad, I shouldn't have had any, much less 3/4....but sitting here all alone with my coffee....I hope they hurry up and get up so I don't find myself out there trimming the other ones up....

Fairness: it does not exist in life, nor does it exist in our house. It is much better to encourage them to be happy when one of the other ones gets something. And to share. Sometimes she gets something good, sometimes you do. Isn't that nice? It was a little hard for Sonja yesterday: I had 3 pair of sandals in my room that I had bought in the fall for 90% off....they fit Kathryn, Evelyn, and Suzanne. She pouted a little about that.

If life were fair, it would not be fair that I have to clean up after them so much. I mean, who gets toothpaste all over the counter? Who leaves their socks on the bathroom floor? Towels? Where did they come from, and who can possibly use so many? And the drips across the kitchen floor? And who slops stuff on the counter? Who slobs up my house? If life were fair, I wouldn't have to be the bad guy and make them pitch in and clean it up. Anyway, it makes a wonderful kid-who-is-complaining-shutter-upper: "Life isn't fair!!"

Today, I think I will go buy a few rakes....rakes seem to disapear into the place where hammers, scissors, and tape go. Or they get broken. Anyway, we need to do some yardwork. And what better time than when the kids are all here on vacation?

Camille is up now....Mirielle left for class, and Joseph woke up and ate some candy. It is never boring around here.....

4 comments:

baristamom said...

Well, I just came across your blog this morning, because Emily had a link to it on her facebook post. I have been laughing and enjoying myself immensely. Your writing is so fresh and funny...I relate to many things on your posts. Even tho I only have 5 kids, life is very eventful and busy and enjoyable. We also went on vacation over spring break for 2 days to a hotel and got all the comments "are those ALL yours", but the kids were so good and loved the free breakfast and pool.
Can't wait to see you all again at Victory...we're hoping our trailer is still standing :-{ Looking forward to reading more blogs. Will pray for you too, with your pregnancy. Love, Linda

KrustyLynn said...

were they Dunkin' Doughnuts??? :)

Piper Paradise said...

Thinking of you and your newest blessing. How are you feeling???

Martha said...

"Life isn't fair"- a good lesson to learn early on. You are wise to teach them now.

Your cutting the doughnuts in half made me smile. It sounds so much like something we would have done,... maybe still would... come to think of it.