summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, April 16, 2009

sad sad day.....

Charlotte Claire and Camille didn't understand why they were saying goodbye to Champ. In fact, the sad thing is that Camille just learned to say "Champ" today....
He is/was such a pretty dog....Margaret says goodbye...

Charlotte Claire gives him some hugs.

oops.




Margaret gets a nice nudge.




And the picture of Camille, holding Kathryn's babydoll. The doll is dressed in a real blanket sleeper, and I keep thinking it is a real baby sitting there. My day: I woke up this morning to Camille singing Mom-Mom-Mom.....I got her changed and cuddled and Charlotte Claire woke up. She was covered in....um...how to say this nicely - she was sick to her stomach in the night, and her hair was.....nevermind, but she needed a lengthy shower....and her bed had to be cleaned up....then, breakfast (yuck!)...and getting ready to bring Champ in. Just Joseph and I went with him. Champ, of course, had no idea. We had to heave him into the van, but once he got in there, he was pretty thrilled....we haven't cleaned the van again since our trip, so there were plenty of crumbs for a dog to find. At the vet, he got very agitated. He always gets nervous there, it must be the smells of all the dogs, plus he probably remembers the shots. And, there was a beautiful grey tabby cat in a cage in the waiting room. Apparently the cat was run over, and the UPS man rescued him, brought him to the animal hospital, and they were looking for someone to adopt him....I was tempted, but one thought of Paul's reaction if I brought another cat home was enough to end that temptation. Anyway, Champ was nervous. We brought him in and half/lifted him up on the table. The Joseph petted his head while I hugged him/held him down. The vet had to shave a spot to put the needle in, the clippers scared the daylights out of him. Joseph pet him and talked to him while I held him down with all my might. As soon as the needle went in, he started to relax, and in just a minute he was at peace. I knew it would be sad, but I didn't realize HOW sad. The vet took out her stethoscope, and said he was gone, which was obvious. She then gave me a big hug. What a lady. What a rotten part of a wonderful job. They were so very kind, but all I wanted was to get out of there.....
So, of course I cannot take a trip to the city, even for that, without a stop at the store. I went to Aldi, and Joseph stayed in the van. Champ was his dog, he got him when he was almost 4, and he called him Simba at first, and carried him up and down the deck steps, and went swinging with him on his lap. So, into the store I went. I felt like everyone knew I was grieving for my dog. The cashier asked how I was doing today. Fine, I lied. I was NOT going to bawl in Aldi.
So, home with the groceries, and on with life.





11 comments:

Lilium said...

mom i cried so much when i read this. im so sad that hes gone. i miss him alreday. we need another dog. this isnt fair

OurLilFullFam said...

Della,

I am so sorry. I just posted about this same thing Friday with my old girl who was 13.

You did good not crying, I bawled all afternoon Friday and some more on Saturday. My pregnancy hormones only added to my sadness.

I will pray for y'all, I know how hard it is for everyone to lose a pet, they become like part of the family.

I could never be a vet either, mine was so nice on friday and even sent me a card I got yesterday.

Stephanie

Martha said...

I'm so sorry for you. You are braver than I was, I just couldn't stay. Misty was a big dog too and just couldn't haul her old body up on her feet anymore. Winter was coming and it would have been cruel to make her face it. Besides, she had already gone down to the neighbor's house to die and we brought her home. Long time ago now, but still sad...

Debbie said...

sorry to hear about Champ..how sad and hard that must of been!

Cassandra said...

Della
((((hugs)))))

Cassandra xx

cheryl said...

Well, once again I didn't make it through the day without wet eyes.

Chrissy in Chaos said...

My thoughts go out to you - my dog is getting on and I know it's coming but it doesn't make it easier - but your family all love each other and that makes it slightly better - you can hug and laugh and cry together through the dark days.

Unknown said...

I can't believe you killed the dog! He was still so cute, and probably the best dog ever! Now we're going to have all sorts of trouble like robbers and probably curses raining down on us. I can just see the poor guy getting nervous at the vet. I bet Joe is really sad. Actually, he needed to go home, but ach! So sad!
I don't know why I come up as skirtgirl here; it just happens.

16 blessings'mom said...

Emily and Mali: I am sorry this had to happen while both of you were out of the country: he was suffering, and I was afraid he would get hit by a car. He would just go stand in the road, and he was so deaf....his eyes started getting cloudy, too. It will take some getting used, to, though. Today there was a half of sandwich in the yard, and I wondered how Champ could've missed it....(how much food have these kids "wasted" through the years, with Champ covering up the evidence?)

AUTISMOMMA said...

Sorry for your loss. Now I feel foolish for complaining so much today on my own blog. My day seems like a walk in the park compared to yours. :(

Robin said...

I am so sorry (((hugs))).