summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, April 20, 2009

eight kids got on the bus today....

Not too bad after a huge spring break. Kathryn is feeling sick, and I do believe her, since she couldn't eat breakfast, and lots of the kids have had the barfs. Jonathan had a fever last night, and is still on a liquid diet. He hasn't barfed since yesterday though.

Today I have to take Mali to the dentist, and her and Sam to get their passports finished up and sent in, which means Paul will have to meet us at the county office building. Mirielle is babysitting (not for me, for another family) this afternoon, so Aaron and Joseph will have to hold down the fort here. It does get easier when there are older kids who can lend a hand. It means I no longer have to take everyone everyplace I go, like I used to.

B.J.'s cinnamon bagels: absolutely delicious, only $2.99 a dozen. The only drawback: they have to be sliced.....I have to slice them all up so they don't cut their fingers off.

So, my homeschooling plans are still brewing.

Pros:

1. No sending them out in the cold, on snowy winter mornings.

2. No sending them onto the hot bus on humid scorching days.

3. No more wasted time on stupid assemblies, or watching movies in school

4. They can do their work in the mornings, and have the afternoons to play, instead of getting home at 4'oclock....and cramming their whole lives into 4 1/2 hours a day.

5. They can learn at their own levels, instead of assembly line style. I mean, once they get something, why do they have to do those repetitive worksheets? And color those stupid pictures? Do those teachers realize how long it takes for them to color a whole page?

6. I can take the time to sow God's word in them, more.

7. They can have much more of my attention.


Cons:

1. They won't have the social setting of school to help them learn that life is not fair.

2. It will be very busy here with the littler ones around.

3. I will have to be organized!

4. I will have to keep track of state mandates, and make sure they are learning what is required to pass the state tests.

5. Can I teach them well enough?

6. Will they be too sheltered?

7. Will they be stir-crazy?

So, I am still not totally convinced it is the right thing to do. Well, it seems like the right thing, but is it going to work? I need to really think about it. And the cost is something to consider, too.

Well, I have phone calls to make, and kids to feed....

9 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

You forgot another pro: You can control what and how long they take to learn something. I don't know how the laws are in NY but in IN, the homeschool laws are practically non-existant. In some ways, that's great. In others, not so great. I like it because - should we be able to homeschool (I say "able" because we also have to factor in the autism aspect), my kids won't be forced to learn a bunch of stuff they will never use in life. i.e. When was the last time you had to dissect a frog in real life? Or identify the different molecules on something? Or.....?

As far as the cons, we have a lot of friends who are homeschool parents and their children are far from not having enough social interaction. I'm sure you'll work it out. If you can handle what you have already, homeschool will be a breeze. You are truly an inspiration.

Bobbie-Jo said...

1. They won't have the social setting of school to help them learn that life is not fair.

That one made me chuckle. How can a child with 15 siblibgs be under the impression that life is fair? I hate the word fair. Unless it's referring to a county fair, then it's good.

There are so many pros and cons on both sides. I swore I would never homeschool. (Famous last words!) But it really is about God's plan for each family. He cares about the details and He will equip us for what He calls us to.

Unknown said...

You can do all things in Christ who gives you strength... And your education wasnt with out holes and with the grace of God were able to fill them in your adult life so I believe God will gift your children the same. Amen!

Robin said...

I am going to be homeschooling all of mine next year (only homeschooling 3 right now)..I am always weighing the ups and downs, too. Good luck with your decision!

Cassandra said...

I hope no one else gets the Barfy virus, especially not you....
I loved your list of pro's and con's, when we first started we had a list too but after just doing it for a while i realised that the pro's far outweighed the cons and the cons just vanished. I too was so worried if 'I' could teach them and such and then i saw that they were learning so much more just from living everyday to the fullest, all i have to do is give them the opportunity and guide them and they learn so much more because they 'want ' to ( and there is no time wasted filling in repetitive worksheets usually about things they dont want to or need to know) Something else that amazed me was how their whole attitude towards work changed, they are much happier kids now too, they dont have to worry about being made to feel bad because they dont 'fit' the system or fall 'behind' they can work at their own pace (which was especially important for Zac as he is dyslexic) and i think that the self confidence they get and the self pride that they learn from not being made to live up to a (sometimes ) unfair 'system' is priceless. I know that eventually they will go out into the world fully prepared and educated with everything they 'need' to know and everything else will fall into place because they are confident in themself that they can learn it because the 'world' has been their classroom for most of their life.


Cassandra xx

Peta said...

When the time comes where you have to make the decision you will make the right one for you and your children. You always do.
And as for having to get organised? I have a friend who is the most unorganised, procastinating person you have ever met in your life. But she still manages to homeschool her 5kids and does a great job. I have another friend who is super organised and homeschooling 1 child and failing dismally. So you need to take getting organised off that list. It mean's nothing really.
Anyway I hope you can make your decision soon and be happy with it.

Kris said...

I had three of my kids in school for 4 years. I liked the school and overall have nothing against traditional schooling, but what made me go back to homeschooling this year was the fact that traditional school *is* very intrusive on family life. Maybe more so for a large family.

It hasn't been all blue skies and roses homeschooling everyone again but I now know that both forms of education have their stresses.
I know God will direct you to the right choice for your family.

Martha said...

Stay on your knees and keep your children before the throne of God. It's the only way to go whether you school them at home or send them off on a bus every morning.

Renata said...

It's so interesting to hear you're considering homeschooling as we've decided to start it. I'm afraid in my case the pros well & truely outweighed the cons. I'll pray you make the right decision.