summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 20, 2010

monday....a day that the Lord has made....

and we shall be glad and rejoice in it. Not because everything is going our way, but because we just will.

Last night....Miss Camille tossed and turned and woke me up several-everal times. More than seven, less than twenty. One time she was whimpering and whining and I got up and asked her what was wrong, and she said, "My leg is cold..." She has one-piece footie jammies on, and her leg was sticking out from the covers. So we are dealing with some brattiness here....but in her defense, she has come down with another cold, and was coughing a bit last night. At one point, she got up and took the battery operated candle from the dresser and turned it on and had it in her bed. So I let her keep it. By five a.m., after getting up those several-everal times, I just could not fall back to sleep. Then at seven, when I HAD to get up, I was getting very sleepy and could certainly have fallen asleep. Oh well. There IS coffee. Paul so nicely made a pot, but turned it off..by the time I poured mine, it was very lukewarm...I opened the microwave and it smelled like someone had themselves some chicken nuggets....nah, I just had it lukewarm.

I think that if, for the past 26 years, I had gotten really good sleep, I would be in much better shape. There is nothing like being tired and weary to dampen one's enthusiasm for excercise. And that afternoon slump when one has had a terrible night is hard to get through without something good with the coffee. I know, I know, excuses excuses....but still!

So this chilly morning, Jonathan took his usual morning shower....it went on and on...he was in no hurry to get out from under that nice warm water. Then when he got out, he stayed under his towel for way too long....I practically pushed the child out the door, after having him step into the sneakers that I tied for him, and shrug into the jacket I held for him, after eating only three or four spoonfulls of his Cinnamon Life. I handed him his backpack, and off he went....just barely made it.

Margaret is home today, doesn't feel well. Sonja has something going on with her tummy. Either she is a good planner, because it started yesterday, or she really doesn't feel well. Her happiness at staying home is shining through whatever illness she has, that's for sure.

Camille is sleeping nicely now. rrr.

My computer is still being fixed, I hope it is indeed fixable. I am sitting at the desktop, it just doesn't have the comfy ambience of my chair.

Call me crazy, but there is one thing I enjoy about being awake alot in the night. I get time to think about things. I mostly realize things about myself, and think and pray about others. I resolve to give more of myself, to be slow to speak and be a better listener, and to be more understanding with my girls. And my boys. I mean, anyone can snap their fingers and demand of others. And be tough and unyielding. But what is the real goal here, with raising kids? For me, it is too lead them to want to live for God themselves, not to just go through the motions and do what I want them to do. I want them to learn responsibility, but more importantly I want to be a living example to them so they don't want to rebel. I want to have that spirit that Jesus had, that spirit that says, "Come!"

One thing that I have learned in my years as a mother of teenagers (Miss Margaret is my ninth teenager!)....is that I don't always have to have the last word. In the midst of my dealings with them, I have found this thing within me that just wants to WIN. To set them straight. To have that last word. But that is not what is in my heart. So slowly I learn, step by step. Situation by situation. I have experienced that when I am awake, and I humble myself and give up that strength, they sense that I really love them, and it makes it so much easier for them, and they end up telling me they are sorry. Oh, that melts me.

So today is another day.

2 comments:

Tereza said...

Not really sure what to say but just wanted to say I enjoyed your post and love your outlook and was encouraged by it.

Piper Paradise said...

I enjoyed reading your part about being up at night. I was thinking similar thoughts at 12, 1, 2 & 3 this morning when my kids kept waking up. I appreciate your posts. I always get a positive message from you!!