summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

my computer is at the doctor...

I never even thought of getting it fixed, I thought it was dead and gone. But Paul took it to a guy today. Hopefully it can be saved! For now, I am sitting on a hard and uncomfy chair at one of the desktops, right next to Mirielle who is doing college homework.

Today started out stressful from the start. Stressful because of me, I do not want my mother-in-law to think I am a slob, or rather KNOW I am a slob. Because, as soon as she left I stopped cleaning and made a double batch of chocolate chip cookies.

So as soon as the kids got on the bus, I started cleaning up. Drudgery, I tell you. It would be fine and dandy if it would STAY that way, but it seems so fruitless. Although it does feel good to have it nice and shiny in here.

Our visit was pleasant enough. She brought us a huge pan of her homemade macaroni and cheese, and a frosted bundt cake which Camille refers to as, "The big donut from Gramma..."

She raised five kids, then went to nursing school for her L.P.N when she was in her forties. She was encouraging me to do something like that too. I would like to, eventually, but for now.....it is nice to not be so terribly busy all of the time, and enjoy the kids. And of course, I would LOVE one more baby....

On this note, I just want to give you fellow mommies some encouragement:

1. Take your life one moment at a time. I don't even say one DAY at a time, because when things are busy and there is a baby, or a busy toddler, or both, even a DAY is too much.

2. You will NOT DIE if you don't accomplish something that you have in your head that needs to be done. It might feel that way, but it did not kill you yesterday, it will not kill you today. Give it up and take a big breath.

3. It is okay to live in such a way that everything isn't always in order. Do not compare yourself to your sister or your cousin or your friend from church. Who ever said your home had to look like a furniture showroom at all times, anyway?

4. Learn to be content. My mother always said that people live like this is "heaven on earth."..they want everything just perfect, but this home here is SO temporary. Life is so short.

5. Forgive, forgive, forgive.

6. Hug them. Even when they're taller than you. They might push you away, but I bet a million dollars they liked it anyway.

And I will stop here because I feel stupid giving advice, because I still have so much to work on myself. It is always a struggle for me to find the middle ground about the state of the house. I don't like clutter/sticky/messy, but I also don't want to be a cleaning lady full time.

I have also been thinking about how my kids are so spoiled and such individualists, even in such a big group. For example, if I were to put specific snacks out after school everyday, I would have to put my foot down....because they all like different things. Some like to eat the leftovers from last night's dinner, some like fruits or smoothies, some like to open a can of soup...yes, they are spoiled...but just because there are a lot of them, doesn't mean they can't do what they want. They mostly clean up their own messes....mostly.....yes, I have sixteen brats. Sixteen fun and funny and kind and sarcastic and thankful and helpful and lively brats. I wouldn't have it any other way.....

6 comments:

Mary Kate said...

Thank you. I needed to hear all of those "helpful hints" today. :-)

AUTISMOMMA said...

Your poor computer! I so wish we lived closer together. I would have my husband, the computer geek, who detests when people ask for him to fix their computer problems, fixing your computer every time for free.

It's funny you mention living "moment to moment." Under my Facebook profile photo, I have "Just taking things moment to moment......"

Carolyn said...

Hi Della,

Not too many mothers with 14 kids at home would consider going to school or work!

Give yourself credit; just because it has slowed down some, does not mean it's slow!

Blessings,

Carolyn

Mrs Marcos said...

You know, not EVERYONE that reads your blog has a large family! :) I don't have any children and I find all your advise to be helpful and I file a lot of it away (in my head) in the hope that I will be blessed with (a) child(ren). You're not that much older than I am, but in a way I think of your advice to me as very motherly (my mom has been gone for 10+ years now). Keep doing what you're doing. :)

16 blessings'mom said...

Paul brought my poor computer to work yesterday to have one of his co workers look at it..I felt like Rosie when he walked in, I was like wagging my tail and asking if it was diagnosed....he said, "oh, I didn't have time to bring it to him today." What??? I am lost...but I suppose when and if I get it back, I will appreciate it tremendously. Carolyn, you summed it up...just because it has slowed down some, doesn't mean it is slow! Thank you for leaving comments, it is great fun for me to check here and find them. I really enjoy it.

Darla said...

So nice to be reminded! I am in a phase that I'm getting pretty big and pregnant and tend to get a little impatient and cranky and critical at times...I tell my kids at about 8:30 or 9 every night, "Ok, better start running to bed 'cause your kinda nice mommy is turning into a really cranky, crabby mean old mommy!"

Yup, I need these reminders often lately! :s