summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

wallace and grommit....

A box came in the mail today. A new dvd, 4 hours of Wallace and Grommit. The kids have it in now, after our dinner of spaghetti and meatballs. It is cozy in here, and very pleasant as long as I don't look down at the floor all decorated with dollies and trucks. Camille is on the arm of my chair, in a frilly dress and princess shoes, pink shiny headband, and pink beads around her neck. And thumb in her mouth.

These two little girls of mine, Charlotte Claire, 4, and Camille Anaya, 3, don't get bored very often. They play and play. Yesterday they decided to "play store with real food", which is exactly what it sounds like. They raid the closet, and get out the toy cash register, along with piles of store plastic bags. They move one of the end tables away from the wall, get behind it, and there is their check-out. Yesterday they bought lots of groceries and brought them "home", which was my room....

Today, they needed something to do so I got out a dishpan and their dollhouse pool, filled them up with water at the table, and they played with their dollhouse people in the water for at least an hour. Water is not a biggie to clean up, and it is so much fun for them. This is fun with tea sets and toy dishes, too. I have also found it fun for them when I bring in a few cookie sheets of snow, they can drive little cars in it and play in it.

This afternoon I experienced some true joy. Here is what happened: two of my older kids got into an arguement. It was about something stupid, they were both RIGHT, and they were strong. They went back and forth for a few minutes, getting more and more upset with each other....one slammed off......so....fast forward about 15 minutes....one of them comes into the room and apologizes, the other quickly apologizes too. A tiny bit of awkwardness, then peace. I was totally blessed by this. I told them each very quietly that THIS is what the gospel is all about. THIS is what it means to follow Jesus. It isn't about the hair and the clothes and the rules....

3 comments:

Karen said...

I remember playing grocery store as a kid. We'd put a table board across 2 stools for the checkout counter. And we only had 1 little grocery cart so we'd also push kitchen chairs around. We'd go shopping in my mom's cupboards....

Martha said...

"Cheese, Grommit!"

Tereza said...

My little ones get bored. I thinkI may need to sit and play with um a bit to get those creative juices flowing so they can come up with things to play..cause really we do have enough toys to play with they jsut need to be given ideas. I liked the barbie pool idea in your more recent post....I shall have to rememeber to give them some fun ideas like that tomorrow!

Oh and about the girls who fought....how wonderful to witness hearts softening like that! These are the important things in life....