summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

9 kids out the door to school....

Mali and Aaron are both graduating this year, and Charlotte Claire is starting kindergarten, so next year there will be 8 in school. And only one home with me, wah!

Sonja remembered her birthday cakes and drinks as she rushed out the door in the pouring rain....what a day. April showers bring May flowers, but what do May showers bring? Floods. Soggy yards. Last year we were opening our pool at this time, this year: brr.

Today is Sonja Kathleen's ninth birthday. Her birth was special because my sister decided to come up for a little visit while I was in labor, bringing seven girls with her. Some of hers, some of mine, and one of my brother's. And, they stayed for the birth. I was at the point where I did not care at all,and they stayed over to the side. When Sonja was born, Paul scooped her up and brought her to the girls...they actually held her before I did. It was so special to me, as I love all these girls.

I feel like the lazy cheaty Mom, sending the boxed Zebra Cakes and Capri Sun in for the birthday. But Sonja said there is a state test today so they only have five minutes for snack anyway. Sonja knows I am going to buy $600 worth of candy today, and she really wanted to go with me. She LOVES going with me. She blossoms with attention, she literally glows when she has one-on-one time with me.

But I did the right thing and sent her to school...right?

Grumble grumble grumble about the rain...but guess who doesn't really care? Me. I go for my walk anyway, get soaked to the skin, I don't care. Rosie gets wet, slogs through the puddles. The thing is, it is spring! Just looking out the window is a treat. The trees have those newborn leaves in that temporary shade of green. Everything is growing and blooming. It smells good, looks good, who cares if it is soggy and wet? I have been going for walks every day for weeks now (five!)and watching the swamp transform from brown and blah to green and lush has been so enjoyable. How could there possibly be no God?

Rosie is afraid of Jon's little battery operated fan. He showed it to her, she peed on the floor. rrr.

Today I have to do everything I did yesterday to get ready for my appointment, again. blah. I do not like going to the dr. to begin with....I do not like parking in the parking garage with the 15 passenger van. I do not like driving it to the small city when gas is four bucks a gallon. But I shall do all those things, and find the good, and let patience have it's perfect work.....

Yesterday I decided to weigh myself again. Since the first time I got on Ashley's scale four weeks ago, I am down 8 pounds. I know that is a good amount, two pounds a week, it isn't recommended to go over that amount...but I was hoping it would be like thirty. I am glad I am losing, slowly but surely. And I am glad this whole thing isn't nearly as torturous as I thought it would be. Sometimes I am sorely tempted, but it passes. I never thought Willpower would be something that I, Della W., would posess. It amazes me that I can actually, day after day, avoid the things I shouldn't have. Not that yummy stuff has lost it's appeal, but I know I don't have to succumb. It is actually quite liberating. I know it is going to take a long long time to lose the weight I want to lose, and I want results faster, but I can live with the way I eat now. I am never hungry because I eat small snacks between small meals. I like having ten almonds and an apple. I like one slice of whole grain bread with turkey and lettuce and tomatoes. And I like going on my walks now. This morning I went up the hill twice with Rosie-The-Bad dog. One nice thing about dogs though, is they don't ask questions. She just turns around and goes back up the hill with me. She did stop and pee and throw me out of rhythm.....the walks are good for her, too though. She is conked out in her cage right now....

Camille is up, wearing her fleecy footy pajamas, playing dollhouse. She didn't stop to cuddle yet. What ever am I going to do when she gets too big to do that?

2 comments:

noelle said...

Congratulations on your weight loss! I hope the dr heaps loads of praise on you...you have earned it!

Tereza said...

you're doing so well! 8 pounds is great! Those walks sound lovley...I'd like to go with you!