summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

being content

Today the place doesn't look much better than it did yesterday. Not because nothing was done here, but because what WAS done has been UNDONE. Null and void. Re-trashed.

And I found myself complaining, once again. I hate it!!! I hate getting up in the morning and seeing things that don't sit well with me and pointing them out to the kids! I need tape over my mouth, or better yet, I need some help from God. Here are the things that bugged me this morning:

1. A child used the rest of the milk, left the gallon jug on the counter with the top on it. (it needs to be rinsed and put in the recycling can-am I the only one who is capable of doing that?)

2. Waffle batter hardened on the counter from yesterday's after school snack. Could the waffle maker have cleaned that up yesterday?

3. The sauce pan from last night still on the stove...the child who was assigned to do the pans overlooked it.

4. A pan with the whole-wheat pasta still had pasta in it, and was obviously not washed either.

5. I hit my head on the dryer door, which was left wide open (the problem with a stacked washer and dryer, I am always hitting my head on the dryer door. this was really my fault, but this morning, I said, "who left the dryer door open?")

6. Kids grumbling about the lack of matched socks. So I suggested this afternoon some of them pitch in and we can match socks and do some other things around here...."MOM!"....

7. A certain few teenagers think they are the exceptions to the No Shoes In The House rule.

I desperately want a re-do of this morning. No, I wasn't yelling. Wasn't ranting and raving. But they have only a small bit of time in the morning before they go off to school, these older kids of mine, and with all my heart I want to make it smooth and peaceful in the morning. The thing is, I know better. And I was conscious of it. But somehow I found myself saying things anyway. blah.

Yes, I am the MOM, and I have to TEACH them. But there is a time and a place for everything.

Then there is the ditch of Poor Me, I cannot do anything right. I give up. Let the house turn into a pigpen, I tried, I don't care anymore. ha. Far be it from ME to fall into THAT ditch.

But God is good. I am sure I will have more opportunities to get treasures in heaven tomorrow morning.

Yes, there is much to work on each day. I keep thinking of a verse in Luke, 16 v.15: "He said to them, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight." What is highly valued among men? Or by me? Do I strive to have others think highly of me, even if it is my kids and/or my husband? Why do I feel so devastated when they don't? There is so much to be freed from! Seeking to please God and seeking to please men are two totally different things, and will bring totally different outcomes. Obviously with the first there will be blessing, and with the second, frustration and disapointment.

I don't mean to preach, but sometimes I get help when I write out what I am struggling with.

My two little princesses are up now. Camille is HUNGRY. When I said, "I thought you were Camille!", she did not think it was one bit funny. She wants to eat NOW.

4 comments:

Tereza said...

oh Della...you have no idea how awesome it was to read this! It's the same struggles for all of us moms. I'm so glad you shared this and for your encouraging words!

Sarah said...

This is my favorite Erma Bombeck quote that I think all mothers need to laugh at once in awhile:

“My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.”

(or the dryer door darnit)

Martha said...

May it help to know you are not alone. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm a neatie trapped in a messie house or a messie trying desperately to be neat... and failing. Of course I do have "help."

16 blessings'mom said...

Erma Bombeck was one funny lady. And Martha, I think I am a messie trying to be neat.