summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, May 2, 2011

rainy monday....

Rain, rain, don't go away. I like having an excuse to stay in today. Wait, I have to go out anyway, I have a dr. appointment. (I am hoping the scale is at least 5 official pounds less than my last visit 5 weeks ago)(and that my blood pressure is lower).

I got up early this morning and went on my walk before anyone left for school or work. I did not want to take Rosie-The-Bad dog, but I did. How could I see that cute little face peering through the bars of her cage, and not take her? Besides, I know her. She would bark and wake up the little kids if I went out that door without her. She knows when I am going on my walk. She can hear me putting on my sneakers. She also understands s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g. It's true. If someone says w-a-l-k, she is there at the door, wagging her whole body.

Anyway, Monday morning. Phew. Sink full of dishes, some pans to wash, floors need sweeping, a weekend's worth of laundry. We did have a nice party for Jonathan yesterday though. We had hot dogs and coneys, grilled outside by Joseph. Baked beans with bacon and brown sugar and freshly ground pepper. Pasta salad, salt potatoes. A bowl of Starburst jellybeans. Lemon cake, and strawberry cake with homemade buttercream frosting. Some yummy varieties of soda. (of course I stuck with diet Pepsi). Twenty-nine people were here, not counting Mali and Aaron who came in later and ate. I ate very carefully, then cut up the small watermelon later when the guests left. It was disapointing, kind of meal-y.

Jon was happy though. He had his little friends here, and lots of his cousins. And, to top it all off, he won the Hess truck he was bidding on. Well, Paul bid for him, but all week he knew that auction ended on Sunday evening, he did a countdown in the final minute, then we all cheered! A brand new one, in a year he doesn't have, for under $20 with shipping. Now, he gets to anticipate it's arrival in the mail. He said this morning, "I think I'll be surprised." okay. If you say so, Jon.

Rain, rain, rain, for the next few days. I am just hoping it is nice next weekend for our church soccer weekend. Our team never wins. Never. Well, they might have once or twice in all the years. Games, not the tournament. Although they have gotten "Good Sportmanship", which we all know is NOT really better than winning. It is so much fun though. I am encouraging my kids who are on the team (Samuel, Margaret, Kathryn, and Evelyn) that is the fun that counts. I am excited because I get to be the Candy Store Lady. I love seeing all the kids! I have to go buy the candy this week....about six hundred dollars worth...and the drinks...cases and cases of water and Gatorade, and iced tea and soda.

Martha, I do want to come for that salad some day. I read your comment out loud last night, and one of my teenagers said, "Mom, she's not real!" (don't feel bad, they say that about Rosie, too). She is too real!, I said. Now I need to prove it to them, I need to visit you. Seriously, one of these days......

My older kids get a kick out of laughing at me sometimes. They are not cruel, but they just gang up on me.....they wave their arms and march in place like I do when I am excercising, and say, "Who am I?" ha ha.

Abigail was here last night, it is so good to see her. She ordered some rainboots from Target for Suzanne and Sonja. They are SO excited. They got to pick them out, which took them forever to decide.

Overall, I don't think my kids have anything to complain about, being from such a big family. They might have to wait for the bathroom a little longer than their friends do, and work together to fit in showers in the evening, and the good food DOES get gone quickly, but overall, they have it good.

I am going to end this post with just a little observation. Yesterday we had a children's meeting at church...one thing I heard was how God commands the blessing when one is obedient. Just think....I am tempted to feel sorry for myself. I start having bad thoughts about someone. I think I should be treated better. Or I maybe I am just plain offended about something. Then...I can either give in, and wallow in it, and get more bitter, or I can say NO! God never ever ever sends more than we can bear, whether we believe it or not. Ever. In each temptation, He provides a way of escape. When I choose to humble myself and be peaceful, then it goes well. There will be blessings. When I hold on to my anger or offendedness, bitterness will take root. Just think to use our lives in a good way, to be cleansed from sin in each temptation, so we can be free and happy! Not growing old and grumpy and dissatisfied with everything! Despite my trials and temptations, I am happy! Or should I say BECAUSE of my trials and temptations, I am happy!!!

No comments: