summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, July 14, 2011

calling the cops and cookies...



These are a creation of Evelyn and Mirielle. Enjoy, they say. blah. I groaned when they started talking about making cookies. They told me that just because YOU are on a diet, doesn't mean THEY have to suffer. I really do know that. Did they not have sour cream and onion chips with their dinner? Did I not buy those chips? Mirielle and Margaret made the dinner last night. They browned up a pound of bacon, chopped it up, chopped up sweet fresh onions, mixed it all in with burger and made patties, grilled them on The New Grill. Joseph made the salad. (I was busy talking with my older brother Bob, who came to visit me for a bit)

Anyway, the cookies look and smell very appealing, but I am learning again that I don't need a taste of everything. Only when I really really want it. The scale went down a tiny little bit again, and it motivates me to resist temptation.

So we had to call the cops yesterday evening. I insisted we clean up the house before calling. The first thing to go was the phrase Emily had written with the 'fridge magnets, "So many cops, only one donut". Seriously though, nothing gets the house clean fast like the thought of police coming. The kids pitched in and we swept and cleaned and straightened....

Anyway, we had to call the cops yesterday evening. One of my older kids was harassed while going for a run, some creeper drove by nine times and made some obscene gestures. We decided to let the troopers know about it. They now have a description of the creep and the vehicle now. Hopefully the guy is wanted for something else and get pulled over and arrested. And dies a slow and painful death in jail. Partly kidding. But - I shall admit, the Mama Bear that is awakened in me when something threatens one of these guys, RRR. I also hate hate hate that the tranquility and peacefulness of walking and running our nice country back roads has been darkened. I still went on my morning walk, with my phone in my pocket.

But Jonathan, in all his seven year-old wisdom, reminded me that God watches over us.

Camille's doctor visit was non-eventful, just how we like 'em. I did tell the dr. how sorry I was to hear of his dad's passing. And that Camille said, "He can live with us now that he doesn't have a daddy." He did chuckle about that, and he told me a bit about his dad and how thankful he was that the grandchildren had a chance to be with him at the end. I clearly remember when my parents died how much I wanted to talk about it, about them.

So the visit went well, except for when the Nice Nurse came in to give Camille a booster shot, and Charlotte Claire said, "The nurse who gave me my shots was WAY prettier!"

A stop at the grocery store with Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille - I had promised they could pick out a piece of candy in the bulk section, ahh, headache! Camille picked out the cutest gummy flowers, they picked wax bottles, and candy necklaces. I picked out some cherries for myself to have on the way home. A dozen cherries and a few almonds, perfect.

I bought the kids a couple of puzzles at the dollar store yesterday. I would rather see them doing things like that then tv, movies, video games.

The girls didn't leave yesterday for camping, they are going today. Adirondack mountains, lucky ducks.

But we shall have fun here too. I have promised to take Sonja and Jonathan to the movies one of these days. We will include Suzanne, too, since all the older girls are leaving.

It is nice and sunny out there again, this has been a gorgeous summer here. We are starting to need some rain.

Joseph is leaving for his second job interview at Walmart. He does not like Walmart, but I hope he gets the job. It is fourteen miles away one way, so gas will add up, but he can really use the money.

For some reason, the kids are silly and loud this morning. I cannot concentrate. I shall turn this computer off and give them some attention.

2 comments:

Martha said...

I have fallen off the diet wagon once again. Truthfully, I think I was tossed off, but that likely won't fly with those who say it is my own responsibility what I put into my body and what I do with it... Blah! I only want to lose 20 pounds, everything that has gathered under my chin the past few years. With my luck it will disappear from "other locations" and I'll end up looking for under garments in the preteen section again.

Funny stuff about cleaning your house before the cops got there. :)

Michelle said...

Wow, I am shocked that someone up there is driving around harassing people. I grew up in Cortland and have wanted to come home for some time. The Big city is just full of crap like that, but I guess these days its everywhere.