summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

heatwave....

Rosie and I sweltered through our morning walk. Over ninety today, perhaps 97 tomorrow. Staying home is a good idea, the big van is hot and terribly un-ventilated. But I have to take a quick trip to town to the post office. Seems that when Benjamin changed his address, he also changed OUR address, so he has been getting all of our mail. I tell you, the fun never ends.

I did take pictures yesterday at the fun and exciting new beach we went to. But...the camera battery had to be charged before we left. And NO ONE knew where the battery charger went. (I was slightly embarrassed when Evelyn found it on MY dresser. oops). So, we charged the battery, I told one child to please remember the battery before we leave. Well, neither of us remembered. So I took pictures with the other camera, and the cord needed to load the pics on to this computer is...well, we aren't sure. But I am not going to start asking until I check my dresser.

blah, all the little details that make up life.

Our beach trip: Mirielle, Margaret, Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille, my sister's daughter Becky, and her grand-daughter Grace. And me, the driver of the big crazy van. We didn't particularly care for the beach. The little kids loved it though. They didn't care about the mobs of people or that the water was stagnant and rather yucky. They didn't care that the sand seemed dirty, and it smelled gross when they dug. But we older ones were rather ready to leave in a hurry. We stayed a bit, until they had enough, and set out for the 40 mile trip home...Sonja ended up with toothpaste all over her as a result of a squabble with Suze, who was apparently armed with toothpaste. blah.

Home. I was a bad mommy. The kids were very hungry. We almost ordered pizza on the way home, but I had only take $20 with us, not enough. So...home. Instead of starting dinner right away, I put my sneakers on and went on the treadmill for 25 minutes. It was hot, all I could think of was getting in the pool afterward, which I did. Paul had started dinner by this time, yay. He put five pounds of Tyson already cooked Buffalo wings on the grill, made green beans, heated up leftover rice, and let the kids microwave some pizza rolls.

Today's agenda:

Post office.

Run in the store for a few bags of ice.

Nothing.

Keep cool.

Be patient with the kids. Hug them. Stay cool when teenagers make their disrespectful remarks. Get some cleaning done before it gets too terribly hot.

Chill. Relax. Take it easy. It is too hot out to do all the shopping I have to do, too early to start packing for the conference or camping. So we shall watch movies and read books and go in the pool and eat healthy snacks.

(being a stay-at-home mom is way way too much fun).

But each of these kids is different. They need to be respected and listened to, and appreciated. Even when things are low-key, they need this.

Well, I shall finish reading the morning paper, finish my coffee, get up and stretch, and resume my busy schedule....

5 comments:

Karen said...

miserably hot here too...having a difficult time getting kids to sleep.

Anonymous said...

I just love the description of your days, thank you as always for the sneak peak into your life.

DONNA BOGIE said...

I love how you write, your a good writer. I also live in upstate NY
and was wondering if the beach you were talking about that smelled was sylvan beach or Verona state park? That water is gross too!

16 blessings'mom said...

Donna, Green Lakes State Park. It is very scenic but up close the water smells bad, and is silty and kind of murky. I have not been to Sylvan Beach, but it seems like a crowded place. I also haven't been to Verona. So far Lake Ontario is the best (Southwick beach!), and some of those Adirondack lakes are so clean and cold and refreshing.

DONNA BOGIE said...

Ahh Green Lakes. Im surprised, i always thought it was a nice clean place. And yes, Sylvan is very crowded and i really never go there. Another Hot day!