summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

summer days

Since I have been shopping for the grill so much lately, I have missed out on some summer days. While the shopping is rather fun, and I have enjoyed the outings with different kids of mine, having special times with them, I have missed the doing-nothing days that just flitter by. I have had to remind myself of my favorite saying, "It isn't doing what you like, it is liking what you are doing that makes you happy." So I try not to get frustrated, and just go with it.

On our morning walk, Rosie and I saw our neighbors, Suzie and her master Betsy. Rosie likes Suzie. She wasn't really trying to pull my arm off, she just got so excited. And Suzie almost pulled Betsy down their driveway. Betsy and I talked about the proposed racetrack, she has lived on this road since before it was paved, when our yard was still a cornfield. The thing is, progress can't be stopped. Things must be built. Cities expand into suburbs, suburbs sprawl...but this is a very invasive venture to be allowed to be built right next to and behind a house, right across from a few of the neighbors, right on our nice country road. It would be different if he had a hundred acres out in the middle of nowhere, with only woods and fields around.

Although this is something I totally and completely oppose, I shall not get too worked up about it. God already knows the beginning and the end of all things.

But I am tempted, oh yes, I am tempted to get pretty upset.

Because more things come into my mind...like how Jonathan is scared of loud noises, motorcycles and loud engines.

And several here have bad allergies, including Paul, so the dust from a dirt track would be horrible. Not to mention we would be all breathing it, and then there is the dirty part of it, the grit and grime that would coat everything.

Then there is the lighting and the traffic.

Then there is the property value, which would certainly go down. See, Paul is in excellent health, he works out consistently and eats good food, but - he has advanced arthritis in his knees, and some other knee problems, so we have it on our radar to move into a more accessable house when we get older. If we couldn't sell this, we would be stuck going up and down the dreaded deck steps right into our seventies and eighties. Doom and Gloom, I tell you.

Oh well. Now I shall get out of this comfy chair and get busy.

No comments: