summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"this is the 911 center, your daughter has had a car accident..."

Mali crashed Abigail's car. Totalled it. She lost control going around a curve when she hit a dip in the road, went airborne, landed upside down, airbags deployed...she had to crawl out the broken back window to get her purse to call 911, her purse which somehow flew out of the car. The 911 center called me, and my legs turned to jelly when the nice dispatcher said those words. I asked which daughter. It seems like a silly question, but it was the first thing that came into my head. Anyway, it was right down the road from here, on a hilly curvy back road. She had to go in an ambulance to the hospital, with me riding in the front with the ambulance driver who remembered us from the house fire a few years back. I asked him to honk when he passed the house, and he did...Jonny was on his bike in the front yard and saw me in the front of the ambulance..he will have a million questions tomorrow...

Mali must've had an angel on her shoulders, said the ambulance driver, to walk away from a crash like that. If you could have seen poor Abigail's car. It was like an accident in a movie, it couldn't have been set up to look worse, a piece of the car about twenty feet away, gas leaking out, smoke...she was really really freaking out because she smelled smoke and didn't know if she could get out, and didn't have her phone...poor girl was in total shock when we got there...before even the ambulance. The EMT who got there first was amazing, calming her down and taking her vitals. Anyway, we ended up in the E.R. again. And guess what????

I KNEW I should have washed my hair this morning. I knew it. But I procrastinated, which I usually don't do. I keep my hair clean...but. Every.single.time.I.end.up.at.the.ER, my hair is dirty. And. I had on my around-the-house shorts. And, the t-shirt that I splattered with sauce the other week when I dumped the meatballs into the sauce. It was clean, I washed it, but it is all stained. Perfect to wear around the house. dang. I wouldn't even wear this shirt to go for a walk in. Oh well, it could be worse. There was a teen mom there in her fleece Christmas Pajama Pants. In June. But, I don't think it bothered her at all.

Lesson, Mamas: keep that hair clean, and do not wear anything you wouldn't want to end up in the E.R. in.

Anyway, she is doing fine, and has learned some lessons. Mainly, that she is never going to drive anyone's car ever again. No, seriously, she is okay, and I am deeply thankful for that. This day has been one heck of a day, very stressful and emotional for me. I should be heading to bed since I have to leave early for Jon's field trip to the museum...

(I was surprised that Benjamin left me a comment on my, "Dear Gramma" post. I knew he read my blog!!!! Thank you for the prayers for him, and the support...and good night, not that I will be able to sleep. I think I am traumatized by just the phone call alone....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very distressing and how mightly glad I am that she is unharmed (physically anyway). Hope she gets some rest the next few days.

T.L. said...

oh dear !! what a night!
you made me laugh though, about the ER dress code! :) You must be so relieved everyone is fine. I hope the insurance covers this..

FLmom7 said...

Oh my, the phone call every mother dreads! I'm so happy to hear Mali is okay. Too bad about the car though...but at least she is okay.

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

very scary! Any time there is an emergency and you do not know how your kids are and have to get there it is stressful.

I am so happy that she is OK. I am sure today she will feel worse then yesterday.

(((Hugs)))) to all of you.

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

very scary! Any time there is an emergency and you do not know how your kids are and have to get there it is stressful.

I am so happy that she is OK. I am sure today she will feel worse then yesterday.

(((Hugs)))) to all of you.

Angela said...

Mali definitely had an angel with her! How very scary! Thank God she is okay, you must have been so scared.

Rebecca said...

So glad she is ok! That is so hard to be in an accident and then get back in a car and drive again!

Sherah said...

Oh Della!!! I am SO happy Mali is ok!! I can't even imagine the shock it must've been to hear that. Reminds me to pray much more often for my children!

I think that is so so neat that Ben gets to read your blog all the way over there. I mean, if it were me, I would be so delighted to read about normal daily life, laugh with you about something Camille says, just reliving the life he's grown up in and also how nice when he is feeling homesick (I'm sure, so much of the time!). I also wanted to say that I love how you write every single day, just about -- it's the highlight of my morning when I sit down to nurse Charlie at about noon your time, to see a new post. =) It's the first thing I check when I get online, really and truly.

So happy for you that your weight loss has started up again after such a looooong time and so.much.work! I know, I know, I KNOW how hard it is to say no day in and day out and STILL see no progress...rrr. You're doing so great! And, I think you are beautiful and getting more so with every new picture I see of you with more weight loss under your belt. =) Paul is a lucky man! Mark my words, sooner than you think (or maybe it's already happening now!) people are going to drop their jaw when they find out you have multiple kids, let alone 16! You are looking younger and younger, I think. Have a wonderful day!

Tereza said...

wow thats so scary..what anawful phonecall to get...but your hair ...ah you crack me up!! I will have to take your advice:)

mommeeof10 said...

She is okay! Stuff can be replaced, not people.
Enjoy your field trip. I think tomorrow is my kids field days in the park. They want to bring lunchables, over priced high sodium garbage, but what the heck? Once in a while, a little junk will not hurt them.

Mum said...

What a scary day! So glad your daughter is okay! Can't imagine how your heart must be feeling, but wanted to send you a hug, and say your family are in our prayers.

Martha said...

If you have a list of 1000 Gifts, you will be adding seat belts and airbags. So glad your girl is okay even if the car isn't. Thank you, Lord!

ccc said...

I am so happy that all turned out well. I got a phone call like that once--the hospital calling that my son was t here. But, she did not say it at first, and instead said--are you the mother of Matthew R.?? This is the hospital. I thought they were calling me to tell me he was dead.

And, you are SO right about keeping clean in case one has to go to the ER. I swear my kids purposely pick the days I look my worse to break a bone or need stitches!!