summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

it ain't all sunshine and roses...

or is that, "sunshine and puppy dogs"? I don't know. But I do know that now that we have taken in this new dog, life is a wee bit different. Sleeping through the night is over-rated anyway, right? Hmph. Mr. Duke decided to bark his little head off at 3 a.m. I came out to see what the commotion was, and the kitchen garbage was strewn all over the floor. I let the two bad dogs outside, called them back in a few minutes later and gave them their treats for coming so nicely, scooped the garbage back into the cans, bid them goodnight, and went back to bed.

6:30 came too fast. And there to greet me on the kitchen floor, yup, a pile of poop.

Is this normal behavior for Duke? Or is it just getting use to us? I do not know. My first thought was: we cannot keep this dog.

But hopefully he will adapt, settle down, learn some manners.

I swept and mopped the floors this morning, cleaned off the counters, folded some clothes, got the little girls ready for school, then...yup, went back to bed for a while.

I have to go take my walk, and wash the dishes, and do some laundry.

Paul is still in Germany, and I still miss him. I never in a million years ever would have believed that one could be married for so long (29 1/2 years), and still love someone as much as I love Paul. It's like I love him more and more as time goes on.

And back to teaching Jonathan...

2 comments:

Kathyb1960 said...

Maybe he is marking his territory??? Or maybe Suri dared him to do it?!?!

Good luck!!!

Martha said...

Maybe the change isn't quite as easy for Duke as you first imagined. He probably needs a little bit of time and a lot of love to adjust. At the very least you can be sure he isn't really feeling or acting quite like himself yet.

We once "adopted" a dog from a stranger too. We had him for a weekend and found him to be a nice dog, but not totally relaxed. His first mommy and little boy were heartbroken once he was gone and so we arranged a meeting place to give Izzy back. It was a totally different dog that hopped out of our van to meet his old friends, including a dachshund. I was just glad his mom hadn't actually surrendered him to the local animal shelter. I don't think they give them back.