summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 9, 2013

monday morning, how I loathe thee...

And yet...thankful. Sending seven kids out the door to school is some picnic, some days. This morning, for example, I forgot that speaking the truth is not always wise, especially on a Monday morning. Now, we have iron-y water. We have had several water systems through the years, in fact we just got another new one last year. Iron filters, too. Yet our water still has that nice orange-y tint. It stains white clothes, it can build up in your water bottle. Anyway, this fine morning, my kids were grumbling about the water. I mentioned that perhaps they should be thankful that we at least have water, an abundance of it. I reminded them how much God hated it when the Israelites grumbled and complained after they were brought out of Egypt, longed for meat to go with their heavenly bread. So they never entered the promised land. God hates complaining.

Uh, they didn't really want to hear this. And of course, they weren't REALLY complaining, I missed their point entirely! They were just mentioning how they didn't like it! Jeepers! There is a difference, MOM!

I may not have much wisdom, but I am learning how to drop a matter and change the subject. Although it doesn't hurt to plant a seed of thought in their minds, there certainly was a better time than this fine Monday morning to point it out.

Anyway, I took my nice long walk, then got Jonathan's school day planned while I brewed a pot of pumpkin spice coffee. Jon cooked our eggs, he really likes cracking eggs. Good thing I really like wiping up the stuff that trails from the cracked egg to the pan.

He is nice and quiet, studying like a good boy. I love having him here. He is genuinely interested in learning all sorts of things. We can spend lots of time on interesting stuff, yet we don't have to do page after page of stuff, once he gets it, unless we want to.

Friday I had a few hours out and about with my three oldest girls, Emily 28, Abigail 26, and Mirielle 23.
(Abigail, Em, me, Mirielle)



We went to Kohl's because I had a 20% off coupon. We mostly just wandered around and wondered how things could cost so much, but I did find Jonathan some really cool Nike sandals for nine bucks. Emily found new sunglasses, Mirielle a new purse. We stopped at the grocery store for more bananas and yogurt and veggies and and and.

Can I mention how much I totally enjoyed being with these three daughters? Emily and Mirielle talked nursing a bit, Mirielle is looking for a job, interviewing here and there. Abigail is still out of work on medical leave, hobbling around but doing better by the day. Em had the day off, so it just fell into place that we went out and about in the sunshine together.

Today, Mali is coming over to spend some time with me. Jon is trying to get his work done speedy fast, in case we go on an adventure.

We woke up to a chilly morning here in central New York state. It is sunny and gorgeous, a little breezy. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, possibly ninety degrees! So I am keeping that pool filter on, hoping for a few last swims. It is painful how quickly summer turns to autumn. Even if I keep the water clean, and it gets really hot for a day or two, the water is going to be freezing. I am thinking this will be the last pool week, wah.

We didn't do everything on our summer list. Suzanne said she wanted to go fishing with Daddy. We did go to the beach a few times, went camping in the mountains, went to a waterfalls, went to our friends' pool, picked berries...we had Iced Coffee Day, and went to the park.

I know time is supposed to pass, but it just goes too fast! I see my kids growing up into these people who don't need Mommy to brush their hair or pick out their clothes. They remember their own homework and pack their own lunches. Emily and Aaron ride in to the city to work together sometimes, and I remember when Aaron was born...Emily was in second grade, and when I went to school to see kindergarten Abigail's Christmas presentation, I brought newborn Aaron in with me. (I also brought Benjamin, who was 4, Mirielle, who was 2 1/2, and Joseph, who was 18 months old) Anyway, I brought those little kids and that newborn baby Aaron, who was born on December 10th, it was probably like the 22 of December, and Emily was such a proud big sister, holding that baby boy and showing him to her class. Now they drive to work together.

I had a girl come to help me when Aaron was born. She stayed until he was four days old. I cried when she left. Two kids in school, four at home. How in the world did I ever survive those years? (Mali was born exactly 15 months after Aaron...then of course Sam came 17 months later...then Margaret 16 months after that, Kathryn 15 months after that, Evelyn 17 months later, Suzanne 18 months later, then Sonja 14 months later, then Robert 13 months later, then Jonathan ten months after Robert, then a few miscarriages, and Miss Charlotte Claire...then Camille Anaya, 18 months later. phew. No wonder I am enjoying my downtime so much!!!!

So anyway, it goes by to fast, this incredible life of mine.

Kathryn is making waffles for Jonathan and herself. Oh they smell good, but I do not eat waffles anymore.

Perhaps I will have some more pumpkin spice coffee....

















1 comment:

Tereza said...

It does go by so fast... Yes when u are in the thick of things it seems kinda slow. Enjoyed your post