summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, March 22, 2018

just checking in...

What a day! This fine morning, five of my kids left for their long-awaited trip to Norway. They were driving to Boston in four rented vans, then will fly to Germany, then to Norway. Then the train for some, a rental van for the others. What fun!

Here at home, you would THINK it would be quiet. But no, we have Miss Char and Miss Cam, along with cousin Danielle, and then Davian (Anne's 6 year old brother), and also little Anne. Lydia is also supposed to come over. Kathryn is here too. And, Margaret is having contractions, today MAY be the day...:)

Today it's sunny. Blue skies, and sunny. It's only 36 degrees out, but sunshine...the kids were out for a few hours. Char and Dani were walking in the driveway...in barefeet! The sun has warmed it up, and...well, I guess they are just ready for spring. And yes, we still have tons of snow in the yard.

Now they are back inside. They are having chicken tenders for lunch, and Char is attempting a batch of peanut butter cookies, hopefully fully realizing the difference between a tablespoon and a teaspoon this time, especially for the salt.

Tomorrow, Kathryn Grace turns 20. (She has something going on with one of her molars, and made a dentist appointment, wanting to get it taken care of before she leaves for Norway on Tuesday, so she goes in to the dentist on Monday. Her dental insurance only covers up to age 19. So after tomorrow, she has no insurance. Happy Birthday dear Kathryn.)

Kathryn is my tenth child. I don't honestly remember much about her birth, but I do remember having the world's worst migraine after she was born. Way back when, when my first few babies were born, there was such a thing as a newborn nursery, where the babies would go to sleep in their little glass beds, where there were nurses to rock them to sleep and change their diapers. Maybe they still exist in some hospitals, but they were certainly being phased out to the point of not being used very much by the time Kathryn was born. I remember Paul went home, and I was there with my little newborn, and my headache was getting worse and worse...I pressed the call button, and told them I had a headache, and needed something. They must have had lots of more important things going on. After the headache got really bad, I called again. When I finally got some ibuprofen, I was crying because it hurt so badly. I asked the nurse to please take baby Kathryn for me...I heard her remark to a co-worker as she wheeled her out of my room, "Ten kids! Just wait 'til she gets home!" I cried even harder, because, ha, I was thinking the very same thing.

But look how time flies, and I obviously not only survived, but had six more babies, although not entirely painlessly.

Kathryn was a really easy baby, I do remember that. When she was born, I had my hands full.
Emily was 13
Abigail 11
Benjamin 9
Mirielle 8
Joseph 6
Aaron 5
Mali Rose 4
Samuel 2 and a half
Margaret 15 months, and one day old.
Kathryn....newborn:)

(When Ben was 9, he had seven younger siblings!)

Anyway. Tomorrow is her birthday, and lots of her sisters are gone, so we will figure out something fun to do.

Suri is busy with the empty peanut butter jar. Davian is talking to Kathryn about conjuvating verbs in French, and I am wondering where my Target order is. I have a RedCard, so free 2-day shipping on any order, and no, I am not getting paid to write that, although if I got paid to blog I would be all set. I do love Target, and am looking forward to getting a few new tank tops and an elbow length sleeve top, and a few cute little tops for Miss Cam.

Anyway. The sunshine is brightening up the house, and spring will be here before we know it...:)

1 comment:

An American Housewife said...

So... Margaret's little one MIGHT share a birthday with Kathryn! :)