summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, March 12, 2018

our story....

A long time ago, when I was a teenager, sixteen years old, I was unconverted, I was silly, but I did have a strong belief in God. So, it's embarrassing to say, but I prayed for a boyfriend. A good boyfriend, a keeper, ha, I was ready to settle down. This sounds ridiculous, but I didn't like the "game", the break-ups and the cheaters and the whole dating thing.

And then I spent a weekend with my cousin, who lived out in the country in the Finger Lakes, and on Saturday night, we went "out". She was 18, which was legal age then for bars, I was sixteen...and a half. So I practiced my story, convincingly told the bouncer my birthday, using the real month and day, and fudging the year. Since most of it was true, I didn't feel too bad lying, and he believed me, that I forgot my license, and was from Syracuse and visiting my cousins.

And, that night, my cousin and I played the game where we just stood around looking at all the guys, choosing the cute ones and saying, "Wouldn't I like to bring HIM home to mama." When I saw Paul, it was game over, he was the one for me. He had lots of curly hair, and a navy blue velour v-neck long sleeved shirt on, remember those? He was standing around with his friends, and then he went up to the bar, and my cousin pointed out that his shirt tag was sticking out...she dared me to go tuck it in! Now, a dare, I couldn't refuse a DARE. So I did it. (and to be perfectly clear, I had not had any alcohol. We were not drinking, just standing around being silly). And he turned around, and I told him his tag was sticking out, and he was even cuter close up. He had just bought two of those little beers, don't think they still make them, O.V. splits, the seven ounce bottles. He handed me one, and we talked. We talked about Bugs Bunny (he loves him), Stephen King books, and then we danced. Whenever I hear Benny Mardones' "Into the Night" (If I could fly, I'd pick you up, and take you into the night...), oh dear, I was head over heels...

He was the one.

The thing is, he assumed, and rightly so, that since I was in a bar, I was at least eighteen, and well, he was in college, and I was in eleventh grade. So he asked for a senior picture, and I only had one from tenth grade. Then he met a mutual friend, a friend of my brother, who spilled the beans. Now, to get this clear, I had never lied to him about my age, he hadn't asked, but I was aware it would be an issue, and was dreading it. It wasn't a deal breaker, as he really liked me too.

We got married when I was 18 and a half, two years and two months after we met.

He had finished college, and was working, I had graduated high school and was working...

Anyway, that's the story about how we met.

Today, I have a doctor's appointment, to see the OB/GYN, the midwife recommended I see him regarding the bleeding I had a few weeks ago. So I am hoping and praying there is nothing going on, in fact, I would like it if the ultrasound shows a baby or two in there, ha, but no cancer.

Anyway...I have things to do, and kids to teach....

6 comments:

Lisa said...

ahhhh...the good old days...lol

I met my husband of 32 years when I was 14 and he was 16 (and had just moved to our town from a nearby town) at church youth group. All the girls thought he was cute and were flirting with him. I thought he was "the one" but wasn't going to run after him like all the other silly girls...I abhor competition. Thankfully, he saw me sitting outside the circle of girls he was surrounded by and thought I was much more interesting than the group throwing themselves at him. ha!

If one of my girls had a story like this (or yours) I would probably faint from horror. Different times for sure.

Michelle said...

Great story:) Oh I remember that song, "Into the Night"...so many memories. I'm impressed you remembered the shirt Paul was wearing the night you met!
Good luck with your Dr appt...praying it's nothing to worry about.

An American Housewife said...



Thank you so much for writing it out!!! And after I thought about it for 3 or 4 seconds, I DID recall those long sleeve blue velour shirts! They usually had a short zipper on the front at the collar.

I also married at 18. We met at 15/16 and dated 3 years. We will celebrate 30 years in July. :)

Marilyn said...

Hi Della. Such a lovely story ❤️ It was meant to be I guess. I hope and pray all goes well at the doctor today........I’m all mixed up with days here in Australia and there where you are........🙄 AND then you all went on daylight saving and Australia doesn’t tho off till April, so that’s even more confusing to my tiny brain 🤪 Anyway it is Tuesday morning here in Melbourne, Australia. You are still Monday......have a great day.

Marilyn from Canada

Anonymous said...

Would love to see a picture of the two of you when you at that age!

Laurie in California

Kanadiangirl said...

Pictures are missing😁!!!!