summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, March 2, 2018

snow day!!!!



Snow, wind, and loveliness. We had a taste of spring-y weather, but winter came back for a visit. School is cancelled, the roads in our county are closed, travel only for work if it's necessary for health and safety. So Paul is working from home, and the house is brimming with kids. One of my older girls slid off the road on the way to work this morning, but she was towed out by a kind passer-by, which makes my heart happy...that there is still goodness in people. She was going slow, and said she "flew" off the road and into the ditch. She's fine, but wow.

Our plans for today include nothing. There is talk of homemade cinnamon buns or pizza dough, there is talk of getting the sewing machine out and making some pillowcases. For now, there is crocheting (Suzanne), and some playing Mario Cart. I have swept and mopped floors, and cleaned the bathroom. They are thinking of going sledding out back...

Yesterday was interesting, I went to lunch with my sister, and my brother and his wife. How could we run out of things to talk to, Bob and Mary have 10 kids (and 21 grandchildren), my sister has seven daughters (and going on 15 grandchildren), and me...our kids all grew up together, of course, being cousins. It was nice to catch up, but there is always other stuff going on...there was ANOTHER scare at the school, this time someone had ammunition in his backpack. The school was on lock-down, so those kids had to hunker down and hide in those classrooms, in closets and bathrooms, on the floors and behind desks...for an hour and a half.

That's a long time to be scared. Sonja said she could hear the stomping up and down the stairs and the slamming of lockers as the police searched. The girls were texting me as soon as the lock-down was over, they were scared and wanted to be picked up. They knew by then that everything was okay, but still. I was in the small city with my brother and sister, but Kathryn was allowed to go pick them up.

The ammo brought to school was ruled accidental, we do live in a rural area, and kids do hunt. You would think that these days a kid would think twice and maybe even three times before forgetting there were .22 rounds in his backpack, but what do I know?

Anyway. It's a snow day, and it's lovely.

No comments: