summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, March 4, 2019

it IS coming....


Isn't this hopeful? And pretty, too, my mother-in-law made it for me and surprised me with it when we went to visit in Florida.

It was a nice vacation there at her place. She's 89 years old, and she put up with the six of us all week, and very graciously, too. I do want to be like her when I grow up.

But I'm not planning on growing up anytime soon.

This fine morning, I got up and shoveled a path for the two high school girls. They are perfectly capable, in fact Suze was getting my boots on to go out, but I told her nonsense, she should just get ready and I'll go out. Shh, I have always liked the muffled quiet of the snow, and shoveling off the steps and a path down the driveway is doable for an old lady like me. It gets me moving in the morning, and feels refreshing. The whole driveway, um, I'd rather not, but a path, okay.


The floors are swept, and I have my coffee, my feetsies are up, and the homeschooled kids still sleeping. Anne will be here in a little while, and the day will roar into gear.

I'm very excited about my trip to Norway! I mean, how could I refuse? Emily and Abigail both spent a year there, and can speak fluent Norwegian, and they, along with Mariel, took care of all the details of the trip. The fact that they are excited for me to come with them makes me very glad indeed. We're driving to Boston, then a layover in Iceland...(Emily and I agree that we will have to spend a few days in Iceland some time in the future, instead of just a little layover. She says their tourism industry wants tourists, so it doesn't cost extra to stay a few days then resume your flight. She says there's a road that rings the country, and there are hot springs...summertime would be fantastic to visit there, light out all night....)

Anyway, I am not in the least bit packed, although as I am typing this, I got my passport and stuck it in my purse. Anything else I forget, meh.

I ordered two dresses from Old Navy, so I can be super comfy...the knit dresses, just wear with leggings, they roll up and don't wrinkle, and are good for traveling in. I already have one and know my size, now they just have to arrive before Thursday. We aren't checking any bags, so our stuff has to fit in a carry on. And boots take up half the suitcase. I don't like traveling in boots, it's just far too long to wear them, I do better walking through airports in my ugly comfy sneakers.

In April, some of my girls and a few friends are heading up to Niagara country, near Lake Ontario, for a weekend in a nice Airbnb, with a lake view, and a hot tub, so we can visit some wineries and expand our New York wines affection. (Finger Lakes Wines: amazing)
In May, we are going to another Airbnb, near Washington D.C., to visit Sam and Grace. Some of the kids, and Paul and me.
Then in July, Mariel reserved an Airbnb in the Adirondacks, for three days, a brand new cabin right on the water.

August: Norway in the summer!! Paul and I are hoping to bring lots of the kids. Emily, Abigail, Benjamin and Ashley with Anya and Elise, Margaret and Adrian with Wulf, and Evelyn are going, then maybe Suzanne, and Sonja, Jon, Char, Camille. We need to work out the details still, but it's exciting.

Then, when we get home, near the end of August, ahh, three days of tent camping in the Adirondacks. And that's all we have planned at this time:)

But today, we stay home and enjoy the beautiful snow laden trees from the windows. We might venture out there to play for a bit, too.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Good morning Della. I really love the picture your MIL made for you. She must have very good eye sight. I have done several of that type of embroidery pictures over the years. Mine were cross stitch, but I haven’t done any for years now. You must be getting excited about going to Norway!! Lots of fun!! You are going to be quite the gad about this year I think 🤗 You certainly deserve it though. Have a fabulous time there. Iceland is very beautiful I believe. I have friends from Australia...Tasmania.....and they have been there twice and rave about the beauty. We are going to hit 80 degrees here today I hear! Wow!!! Bring it on...........it has been just beautiful this past week.....perfect weather. That’s what we came for!! Have a great day 🌞

Marilyn from Canada