summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, April 12, 2019

ahh, Friday again....!

If I weren't so lazy, this place would look pretty darned good. I have ideas, see. But. ha.

This fine morning, I have been chalk painting the frame of a nice mirror I got at the thrift store yesterday. It was probably quite lovely, back in it's day, when an oak mirror was the thing. Off-white chalk paint from Walmart, the five dollar jar, goes quite a ways. I just have to wax it, then figure out where to hang it.

My mother used to use the phrase, "piddle around", and that's what I do. Yesterday was an Out and About day, for Jonathan, Char, Cam, and me. Jon needed a haircut, and some things for his trip. We went to Marshall's, and he found socks and a sweater, a birthday gift for one of his friends, and we bought one large suitcase. We are going to need a few more, but ugh they're pricey, so one at a time.

I paid for Jon's haircut and left him to it, while the girls and I went over to the thrift store. Either you love thrift stores or hate them, and these two little girls of mine just aren't into it. I only bought the mirror, but thrift stores are where I get my nice coffee mugs, and sometimes really nice shoes or boots. And toys! And sometimes, suitcases. When I was a teenager, those nice jeans that weren't even a possibility at a "real" store, could actually be mine if I found the right size and style, and YAY when I did! It's like a treasure hunt, but I have been working hard on not buying anything unless I really love it, or really need it. I browse around and tell myself that I already have too much stuff.

Anyway. We went to the grocery store too, for some bread and potatoes, burger and coffee. And some snacks for Jon to take on his trip. He is leaving this afternoon, they are driving to New York city, then flying directly to Oslo. He'll be gone almost two weeks!

Evelyn is gone this week, visiting out west, Mirielle is in California.

(Wulf and Suri, just because it's so cute. Labs are so good with kids.)

Remember when a tree fell on Emily's house? She lives in a big old house in town, with Abigail and Mirielle. Well, that tree caused quite a bit of damage, but why only repair the roof? Why not fix up the kitchen, which was indirectly impacted because of the room over it, ect. (The room above the kitchen was a rickety mess, unused but full of windows...so they tore out the floor of that room, thus the kitchen ceiling became the second story ceiling...and very airy and nice. You have to tear out the wall between the kitchen and the storage area, where all her catering business stuff was stored...and then you need new floors, of course! And new cabinets. You can't just leave those ancient things there! So new countertops, too...and an island would be nice! And the sink, oh my, something wrong with the faucet, we're not moving this old junky sink across the room and under that lovely window, a new one is a must! The washer and dryer can come out of Abigail's room now, and into their own little closet, and and and. Her new cabinets are unfinished, that means we get to paint them. Tomorrow there'a a party at her house, a painting party! I am bringing the food and preparing it, as well as helping keep an eye on the young painters, you know, refilling and wiping splotches, and yeah, probably painting too.

It's going to be a nice day, 65 degrees and perhaps not even raining! Spring takes soooooooo long to arrive here in central New York state.

I am ready to get the yard cleaned up, and enjoy some outdoors.

Sometimes I wish I had a guarantee that I would live to...a hundred and ten. With full mobility and a clear mind. When you get old, the spectre that is death is hovering on the periphery, and I just don't want this party to end. I tell myself that God is in charge of life and of death, and that it's not my business to worry or wonder about the WHEN, or the HOW, but words like "cancer", "stroke", "dementia", "heart attack", give me low key panic sometimes. It seems so random, too, I mean, a person can exercise and chew a piece of gum when the birthday cake is enjoyed, but then get hit by a car.

My thing is that I simply LOVE life. I don't get bored. And the years tick by. I want to get as much as I possibly can out of the days. And that doesn't mean I want to do all the things that make ME happy, but store up treasures in heaven. And those piles of treasures aren't so much in what we DO, but of course in HOW we do it. Looking for a pat on the back, oh well, just lost that prize. Honor seeking ain't gonna get you there. :)

God is good. You hear people say, all the time, "It's for the best." But when you truly believe that God causes all things to work together for our best, then....well, even trials are good things, right? Even when your teenager contradicts you, or when you spill the coffee grounds, or your son loses his wallet. When you're not feeling appreciated, when you can't seem to get the house clean, when the scale won't budge...you can choose, go ahead...wallow in that poor me, or ask God, "What do you want to show me?" When we see ourselves as we truly are, then we can have so much mercy on other people.

And...I'm done preachin' for the day...:)

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! I always say ‘fiddle faddling’. Kind of like piddling around 😂😂 Baby Wulf is adorable and so is Suri..........I think they just like the touching. Love Labs!! Emilie’s house is going to look fabulous. This is what happens when you do one thing......everything else needs to be done. You will have to take pictures. I’m just off to the blanket show 😴😴

Marilyn from Canada