summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

...getting old...

Yesterday was Paul's birthday, 57! I didn't know what to get him, but I know he likes beef, so a brisket went into the oven at 5 a.m. And yes, I did go back to bed.

Lots of the kids were here to celebrate. I peeled 8 pounds of potatoes for mashies, Sonja made a huge salad, we put some rolls in the oven, and had the brisket. MMMM. Suzanne and Camille made cupcakes, vanilla with chocolate frosting. (I did not have one, yet I didn't lose like ten pounds for passing it up. It's SO not fair.)



Of course Paul doesn't care about candles or singing Happy Birthday, but oh the little grandkids like it! I asked Lydia and Anya how old Grandpa is, and they agreed on sixteen. So he got sixteen candles. They got to blow them out, too.

Yesterday I did some cleaning around here, you know, putting away mittens and boots, sorting and organizing and sweeping in corners. Of course, today it's snowing out. That's what happens when you FINALLY put the boots away, in central New York.

Camille and I went to the library yesterday, too. Then to the thrift store quick, to look for luggage, which we didn't find. I did, however, find a nice pair of sandals for $5.99, which I may be able to wear to the wedding. We went to the hardware store and bought two rakes, then to the grocery store for stuff for the salad.




Can you believe that my two youngest, the "little girls", are so grown up? Miss Charlotte Claire is almost 13, and Camille is eleven and a half! Sam asked recently when we were going to stop calling them the little girls. Probably never.

Lydia spent the night last night, and is still sleeping, in the little girls' room...(see? little girls!). Anne will be here soon. So it'll be a busy day.






4 comments:

Cassandra said...

Long time reader first time commenter! I have 3 girls and my youngest two will be 11 and 12 this summer, we still call them the little girls. So funny how it just sticks!

Marilyn said...

Della.......it’s too bad you don’t live near me as I have several suitcases I could give you as for some reason I have a surplus. Over the years we seem to have accumulated several! Your little girls will always be your little girls. You granddaughters are very flattering with guessing grandpa’s age. My little girl.......now 49.....once asked me “when you were a little girl mummy, did you wear long dresses and bonnets like Little House on the Prairie”? 😬 She obviously thought I was older than dirt!! We have had such wind here overnight there was a bird’s nest lying in the yard......must have blown out of on of the trees 😞 Our lab had her nose on it!! Have a great day!!

Marilyn from Canada

16 blessings'mom said...

Cassandra, hello! They just grow up way too fast, too, the little girls just get progressively more cool...and mom gets behind the times, again, in yet more kids' eyes...
Marilyn, how was it growing up on the prairie? Oh that's funny. I bet your lab hid her nose on that nest. :)

An American Housewife said...

Paul and I are almost birthday buddies. One of my daughters asked her 4 year old what they should get me for my birthday. He insisted I would love a swing set. LOL. Although she said he was 'very adamant about the swing set', she convinced him that perhaps a gift card for coffee would be better - and easier to send to me. :)

Happy Birthday to your husband!