summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

home renovations...!!!!!

My favorite! Not doing the work, of course, but the end result, oh my.

This fine morning, I woke up at five a.m. to use the bathroom, and why oh why didn't I just stay up? I tossed and turned and enjoyed my comfy bed, then dozed off right as I had to get up. I didn't feel like going for a walk, but I did. A teeny one, but still. I fussed and protested, not sure why, but even as I headed down the driveway, my lazy brain was telling me it wasn't a good day for a walk. Anyone else have such battles with exercise?


Our poor deck! Only one winter, and the nice sealant is peeling off! We applied really good stuff too, Behr. I wonder if I should send a pic to the company, as it's supposed to be five year finish.

But, do you SEE those trees out there? The leaves are unfurling, and our Tree-top resort will be in session soon!

Okay...home renovation. Before and after. Fixer upper. We don't have cable, and only watch the HGTV when we stay in hotels or are at Gramma's house in Florida, which is prob a good thing. But, we are going to be doing some things around here, and I am very excited! Look at this foyer...what were we thinking with the yellow?

That dusty chandelier....Paul is going to take that down for me, I'll clean it off, and spray paint it...either white or black...and maybe get new glass globes for it. I could buy a new one, but what fun is that? He's going to paint the ceiling, and help us paint this foyer, I won't get on a ladder, no sir, no how, no way.

We're going to paint the trim white, and the walls...not sure yet. A very pale grayish blue, or green maybe. I don't want it too dark. But not as bright as the yellow, ha.

We're painting first, then the stairs are getting new carpet, probably dark gray. I've read and read about using the laminate on the stairs, and headache, and pricey for the bumpers ledge things you have to buy, ect. So new carpet it is. Then, the floor will be re-done with the wood looking vinyl plank flooring. The downstairs hall, the upstairs hall, and the kitchen will all be getting new floors. Sooooo, I also want to paint the downstairs hallway, as well as the trim down there.

I have Anne coming today, so I won't start until Thursday.

Yesterday, I went through the coats and snow pants hanging there in the foyer. We don't have tons of kids here playing in the snow anymore, and we simply don't need to hang on to the plethora of cold weather gear. If the kids here have a pair of snow pants each, and an extra play jacket, we're good. I weeded through the mittens, gloves, hats, and scarves, and saved just a few things, bagged up all the rest. The shoe area too...everything that's still nice and grown out of, or, you know how girls are, they just had to have them, and....there they sit. So lots of bags went to the thrift store. The good thing is that Suzanne and I actually brought those bags and dropped them off last night, so they're not sitting here.

The kids took back lots of cans and bottles yesterday too. That's always nice.

Anyway, I am in a spring purge mood, and we all know it won't last forever, so I have to cash in on it while it's here. I want to clean out the laundry room but good, be radical. For so many years, we needed so much extra bedding, now...we have what's on the beds, and only really need a few extra sets in case of company, but we usually wash what we have, and put it back on. But the laundry room is overflowing with extra blankets and comforters and and and. And, clothes that no one wears. They keep their clothes in their rooms now, yet there are still so many things in that laundry room...so, one of these days, so help me, ha, I am going to clean that room up nicely, again. But more radically than ever before.

I'm no minimalist, but it's finally dawning on me that we don't need all of this stuff! I got rid of a pair of old Army boots yesterday, they've been sitting in that foyer for so long, they were moldy! I said, if anyone really needs these, they can go buy more at the Army/Navy store. It's ridiculous. The kids grow up and move on, and the stuff that's left here...

We had a nice Easter, lots of ham, applesauce, Miriells's sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top, oh dear yum. But, I have renewed my vow to eat healthy! Again, I know, but remember, I am not giving up! No sugar. I honestly ate one, yes, one, piece of Easter candy, a little chocolate egg, while I filed the baskets. I made a decision to stay out of the candy.

I worked out yesterday, a wimpy work out, but I am so out of shape. I am hoping to go to the pool at the rec center tonight. I NEED to get into better shape. I get out of breath on hills, and want to be able to do things in life! Also, the scale isn't kind to me, and it's creeping up...so changes are being made!!! I am not going to sit here and make excuses, although believe me, I have some good ones.

Anne is here...bye for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With all the spring cleaning, I was wondering how your bedroom was doing? You wrote about it once and said you were working on it. It makes me think of my mother, she can clean up anything and everything, but don't mention or touch her bedroom, lol.

kristi