summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 9, 2020

...and, wow, just like that, a brand new baby!!!!

...so I was going about my day, planning to make it to deep water aerobics, class #2 in the evening, when I got the call. Mali was in labor! She was at the dr., in the city, and labor was confirmed, would I come get little Lydia? Jon and I headed out the door. Well, Ashley met us there, took Lydia home with her, and dropped Jonny off at home. I went over to the hospital.

Mali was four days early, but that baby was ready. Her labor progressed quickly. We arrived at the hospital around one in the afternoon, and Ophelia Madeline Rose was born at 6:28, eight pounds even, and 21 and 1/2 inches long.

I am not saying the labor was easy, but at least it was relatively quick, and the sweet little baby girl is healthy and strong. So, my seventh child had our seventh grandchild:)


Lydia was thrilled to meet her new baby sister!

Mirielle works closely the hospital, so she stopped in on her lunch break.

(Mirielle with little Elise, baby Ophelia, and Lydia)


Elise and Lydia...so excited to be at the big hospital! Ashley is amazing, she brought Lydia up to visit baby, so of course she brought Elise:). Aren't they cute?

So last night, baby was born, and neither Mali or I had eaten all day, so we ordered pizza and wings, which came right when she was moved up to her room, 9 o'clock. Josh had to go home and take care of their kitties, and get some sleep, so I stayed the night in the hospital room with Mali. It was a double room and she was the only patient, so I was allowed the bed. Well, we settled in around midnight, but Ophelia had other ideas. I was dozing, and poor Mali was trying to get baby to sleep, and it wasn't happening. So at two, I told her I would take her, just get some sleep, she was exhausted. Well, baby was sweet, she fussed and I rocked her, then got her a pacifier, and she loved that. Apparently there's a movement to limit the pacifiers while breastfeeding, but I assured Mali that I never had an issue. I rocked her and held her and soon the clock read 6 o'clock, time for Ophelia's first bath. The day was starting!

So I started the day with no sleep, and no coffee, until I ventured down to the lobby around nine. The coffee was good and hot, and worth like a million dollars. But, the headache had already started. I finally took an Excedrin, and when Josh got to the hospital, I headed home...I got home at noon, with a pretty bad headache. Ugh. I took a nap.

This afternoon, we went out and about for a quick trip to Target...Sonja, Char, and Cam and me. We got some more tortilla chips, burger, a few bags of coffee (Starbucks was on sale, plus a cartwheel discount, $4.49 a bag), and a gallon of windshield washer fluid. We stopped to get a new dump permit, and to get some gas in the van...

Home, ah home, and dinner. Taco salad, again! Poor Camille doesn't like it, so I set aside some ground beef, browned it up and added tomato paste and seasonings, and she had spaghetti.

This weekend, Sam and Grace and little Grant are coming from Virginia!!!

Anyway...what a day!

The birth was an amazing experience, and I am so thankful I got to be a part of it. I am very proud of Mali, and happy for her and Josh, and Lydia. Ophelia Madeline Rose is beautiful!

8 comments:

Carol said...

Ophelia is absolutely adorable as are the rest of those sweet girls. Your seventh child giving you the seventh grandchild is sweet as well. Don't babies make staying up all night the best though?

Marilyn said...

Congratulations!! Ophelia is beautiful........I love her name 🥰 Lydia looks tickled with her baby sister, doesn’t she? That’s something that your 7th child had your 7th grandchild! Enjoy,!

Marilyn from Canada

WicketsMom said...

So sweet! The no pacifier thing isn't new, they told us that when my 12 year old was born. We never started with one, so that we wouldn't have to break that habit later! (And they are so much cuter in photos when you can see their face.) But, he's my only one and all babies are different.

Susan said...

Oh Della, Ophelia is gorgeous! Congratulations!!

Michelle in FL said...

Aw, congratulations! Another Beautiful grandchild! I love her name:) :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, that is so wonderful! Congratulations. Ophelia is so sweet. Happy day!
Valerie

Rose Sperlonga said...

Congratulations on your beautiful new grand daughter!! She is precious!!

A very lucky grammy you are!


Get some rest!

Rose

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your beautiful 7th grandblessing!

Erika