summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, July 29, 2024

blogging blues...

 ...sometimes I wonder if I've run out of things to say, if I'm just done blogging.  Maybe it's because I cannot post pictures, although I'm hoping that gets fixed when the new battery is installed.  In any case, we won't decide that today, no, not yet.

Can I complain a little here?  Our bodies are amazing things, how can something so complex and intricate NOT be designed by a loving heavenly Father?  Sometimes though, things get worn down, and well, they hurt.  I know I have really bad arthritis in my knees, I have for years and years now.  There's something funky with my lower back, it gets better then worse then better again, according to how gentle I am with it.  Sometimes I forget and lean over for the tenth time, cleaning or whatever, and ouch!  I can feel something slip out of place then back in, and one of these days...ugh.  

I cannot just squat down instead of leaning over, because more and more lately, my knees are fighting the whole bending thing.  My right knee, by the end of the day, just won't do it anymore.  

Last night, after a busy day, an amazing day, I showered and got comfy in bed, then the symphony of pain started.  My knee, up my thigh, down my shin, just ached.  It ached so badly I couldn't sleep.  I finally did fall asleep, woke up bright and early and though, I cannot go to the pool.  But no, I NEEDED to go to the pool.  I told Paul and Jonathan this morning about my aching knee/leg, Paul says it must not be an injury if it's feeling better this morning...which ha, didn't last long.  

I know some of you reading this might be shouting at your screen this very moment, just go to the doctor already!, I can hear you.  And, I might.  I might.  

On Wednesday, I'm going to the dermatologist, just in case you wanted to know.  I have had this thing on my face, thought it was a pimple on my cheek but it isn't, it just didn't heal up, then I realized it was over two months, uh-oh!  Skin cancer!  Do not google that, btw, it'll make you never want to take a step outside again.  

So yeah, the grandkids have been here quite a bit for the last few days, and they are so darling and fun and make life meaningful.  Jonathan and I went to Aldi yesterday morning and got some ribs, he was the rib smoker yesterday.  We also got some fresh local sweet corn, and I cut up the watermelon.  Dinner was pretty fantastic, even if it was a bit chaotic.

Our dryer stopped working while Paul was in Budapest.  I just dragged out the drying rack and used that, but shh, dog hair doesn't come off in the washer, it needs a little ride in the dryer too.  Anyway, he took the drum out, has it all apart, and figured out the part to order, then it'll go back together.   We hope.

What do you do with a pee-pee cat?  One of our cats, the sweet old lady kitty, pees on rugs.  You have to keep the bathroom doors closed, or she'll go in there and squat daintily.  I know it's daintily, because I've seen her do it.  She has a litter box, and the weather is fantastic, she can go outside.  I wash the rugs, and some I've had to throw away.  I am just so done with it.  I don't want our house to smell like that.  I cannot just keep her outside, because she's a princess cat, and she loves me.  She is almost always on the arm of my chair, purring.  It would be easier if she was a raging witch of a cat.....

See, I thought when the kids grew up, my work around here would shrivel up to nothing.  It has gotten much more manageable of course, but the animals!  They bring much joy, and much vacuuming.  

Emily and Mariel are on a hiking vacation out west.  They were planning to visit the Cascades, but forest fires happened and closed the trails they had planned on.  They get to visit Seattle and are going to Mt. Rainier, but may come home earlier now.  Their pictures have been gorgeous though. 

So I'm super thankful for my lot in life, and am working on finding my way through my rickety body.  I'm thankful I can go to the swim class, and for our pool too.  I am also thankful that I don't have a job where I have to be on my feet, at this point in life.  We all get our trials in life, the very hairs of our heads are numbered.  God has a plan for us, and when we trust in Him and lean not on our own understanding, things go well, despite what we might suffer...the sufferings of this time are not to be compared to the glory that is to come, right?  

Honestly, the hardest thing for me, besides not worrying about the future and not being able to walk at all!, is that I cannot help with the grandkids as much as I would like...I want to be able to babysit while they go out to dinner, to scoop up small children and carry them in to be changed, and to chase them at the playground.  I want to be able to pick up all the toys and get fun things out for them, and clean up messes.  

Oh well.  We each have only today, and we get to choose whether to be thankful and praise God for His goodness, or wish things were different.  We of course can do what we can to be healthy, not just sit in the chair eating junk food and wonder why we can't lean over, ha....oh dear, sometimes I ramble so much I bore my own self to tears.   Have a good day now!

11 comments:

Kanadiangirl said...

I hear you loud and clear. If only our bodies would stay 20! I feel all those pains as a 55 year old mom of 14, working through 5000 - 10000 lbs of steel on night shift. Some nights I don't know if i will make it through, but then, with the help of some pain medication, I magically do! I would suggest you get on for knee replacement. I have heard good stories about it...
Until then, take some pain meds. It helps. My thoughts are with you! Kristine

Mari said...

First - don't stop blogging! I hope the battery fixes your photo issues. That would make me crazy.
I know all about aches and pains. I'm a nurse and a terrible patient, so I don't go to the dr unless I have to. But so often with things like that, it's just a case of getting older and unless I want surgery I deal with it. :)
We had a cat that did that. She was old and I was tired of my family room downstairs smelling like cat pee. We took her in and there wasn't anything wrong with her except she was old. But she was a sweetie too and we put up with it, until she got sicker and we had to put her down. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. It's so hard!

Billie Jo said...

PLEASE, do not stop blogging! I would miss you here! And I hear and feel your pain. Literally! Hugs, my friend!

Marilyn said...

Oh Della don’t stop blogging! I would miss you! 🥰 I have been so busy with getting ready for this garage sale and getting things ready at our new place and then getting ready for Linda and her mum and daughter visit I haven’t commented too much, but I read faithfully every day!! We would all miss you and I for one LOVE what you call ramblings!! You are a treasure to your family! It’s evident by how much your children and grandchildren love you or why would they want to visit ? I’m sorry you have such sore knees. To be in pain is not fun. My hubby had both his knees done and was 69. He said he’s do it again in a heart beat. I’ll glad Paul made it home safe and sound!

Have a lovely evening🥰🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Kristine, what on earth? I'm wondering what your job is, and how do you manage? Oh dear, made me feel like a big baby for sure, can't imagine how you can take care of the family and work night shift. Sending you a big hug.:)

16 blessings'mom said...

Mari, my usual method of dealing with things is that if I ignore it long enough, it'll go away. I hate going to the dr. and having so many tests done, we have to pay so much out of pocket, ect. The kitty, ugh, I'm just growing weary of messes...:)

16 blessings'mom said...

Thank you, Billie Jo.:)

16 blessings'mom said...

You'll have to send me pictures of your new place. I bet it's exhausting getting rid of stuff, I would rather like it though. I'm glad your husband's knees have been done and have worked well for him, it is on my radar to start thinking about it. Marilyn, I hope your move goes smoothly!

Marilyn said...

He’s 84 now. 😊

Joybells said...

Hi Della! I'm just catching up here. Thank you for all the ramblings; I love them. Please don't stop blogging! Very best to you as you prepare for 2 weddings and soak up every bit of summer's joys. Even if you have to take some things a bit easier for now. :) Good for you, going to the pool. I'm sure that is helping! Hugs to you!

Joy from Salem

Tereza said...

I hope you don't stop blogging...after all these years I still pop in here every now and then. I relate to so much of what you say so if it helps any....you rambling on is not boring! hope you get that pain sorted out...yes go see the doctor...remember...you dont have to take every pill they try to give you but even just knowing what the pain actually is will help you find ways to cope and hopefully heal.