summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

'splain that to me please!

 Today, we're going to talk about Mansplaining.  It's one of my favorite words, because how did we live without it before it was coined?  I don't actually have anything to say about it, ha, I just think it's so accurate how guys just unconsciously assume they know what's going on and how to fix it.  

My husband DOES know what's going on, and how to fix it.  He ordered a new belt for the washer, and yay!  It worked!  But wait, there's more!  It dried one load, after the door was persnickety about closing all the way.  It turned off a few times, Paul got it closed again and the towels dried.  Well.  I went out on a limb and washed a load of blankies, and the door would not close, I couldn't dry them.  I finally asked him to close it, he waltzed right in there to do it right, and uh oh, he couldn't do it either.  I think he has to order another part.  He is the absolute king of keeping appliances running.  

I don't mean to diss him, he's actually quite sweet about fixing things, and being patient about it.  Ha, we got our car inspected yesterday, and the mechanic said we'll need new rear brakes soon.  Paul said, "We just replaced those last year, it's the way the car is driven, whoever is driving it is too tough on the brakes."  It's MY car, so I assumed he meant....me.  harrumph.  So when I picked up the car, I told the mechanic my husband said I'm a bad driver because we need new brakes already.  No, he said, last year we replaced the front brakes, so you're not a bad driver.  :). (I'm an old lady driver, and heaven knows I'm not tough on brakes, I give myself a mile to slow down before stopping!)

Anyway.  My dear husband is easy to tease, but he's a good guy.  

This fine morning, I waited until 10:30 to wake up Miss Camille Anaya.  She arrived home from Norway in the wee hours of the night.  I needed a few things from the store, thought she'd like to go with me.  It was ridiculously nice to see her.  I am so glad she's home.  I know part of it is that Charlotte isn't home, she's going from Norway to Germany...coming home for the wedding in two weeks, then going back to Germany for an entire year.  We're running out of kids!

Anyway, Cam was game for an outing, so we went to the thrift store.  I wasn't in the mood to look at clothes, but I did find a Little Tikes table and chairs.  Maybe I'll put them in my living room, maybe they'll go outside or to one of the kids, but $12...

We went to Aldi, and there were 2.2 pound packages of burgers, 10 patties, for half price, dated tomorrow.  I didn't want to be greedy and take them all, but five dollars was a steal so I bought four.  I put on in the 'fridge for dinner tonight (Chopped onions in the pan, some burgers squashed on top on high heat, mmm!  Lots of pepper, some salt, a dash of hot sauce, some tomato slices...). Sonja and Cam made a hot honey pepperoni pizza.  Anyway, the rest of the burgers were baggied up and put in the freezer.

Camille asked if we could please go to McDonald's, so she got her chicken sandwich and I had an iced coffee, got gas in the car, then home....ahhh, home.  We put things away, then out to the pool....it was 92 degrees and very humid, so the pool was fantastically refreshing.  

The skies darkened and the radar showed rain coming, so we headed into the house....afternoon coffee, a nice cozy summer rain, and some Olympic gymnastics, yes please.

Sonja's fiance installed the new battery into this Mac, and guess what?  It still only works when it's plugged in.  It was a little scary and hairy for a bit while he had it all taken apart, all those parts and pieces, oh no, I did not think it was going to work again, but Oscar knows what he's doing.  We think it might not be the battery, because he installed the new one, and it's still doing the same thing.  It might need to go to the computer hospital, but I probably won't take it in because...well, it still works...just not so conveniently...for example, I'm sitting here all comfy cozy, and the dog wants to come in.  rrrrf.   rrrfff.  I ever so carefully set my computer aside, and somehow the cord comes loose enough to turn it off.  I have to turn it all back on again, passcode, everything.  

This fine morning, I went to my swim class, came home thinking we might go out and about, but instead am going to stay home until my three o'clock dermatologist appointment.  Camille is going to make her first batch of macarons, and Rhys is coming over later because Kathryn has an appointment for Achilles.  

So I'm having my after-pool coffee, which is every bit as good as the first morning coffee.  We all know that the second cup is never as good as the first, but the after-pool one is.  

It's too muggy today.  I give up, I concede, I want air conditioning.  ha.  Heat is one thing, but when you come in the door from the pool, all showered and fresh, and you're sweating just sweeping the floor, ugh.  It's drippy, humid.  The sheer curtains blowing in the breeze of the open windows, lovely.  The fresh air, the hot weather sounds of those tree crickets, the birds singing...I do love that.  But some cool refrigerated air sound nice right now too.

Ah well.  Summertime is amazing.  Have a really nice day!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our Mac had that problem, having to be plugged in all the time. We scrapped it, took out the hard drive to save the stuff on it. My daughter was getting a new computer, so she gave us her old one, another Mac. I prefer them!
Valerie

Mari said...

It's a good thing to have a handy husband!
Welcome back to Camille. Tell those kids to quite roaming all over the world and stay home! :)
Bummer on the computer...

Marilyn said...

Hi Della. I just wrote a big blurb and hit something and it disappeared. 😳

What I said was I would have duct taped that dryer door shut. Would that have worked? I have never heard that word before.

Anyway I’m going to buy a new iPad…. Mine is 11 years old and past its prime…. Much like myself πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I will have it all set up at the Apple Store and then my grandson will give me some lessons πŸ˜‚ I am very untechnical. They all laugh at me but I taught them how to use a spoon amongst other things. We have a good laugh about. They love their Nana and are happy to help.

I always swore I would never get an a/c until about 3 years ago when Alberta was on fire and the smoke was so bad we couldn’t open the windows, and it was 35F. That did it. We seems we have forest fires every year! Did you see that about 1/3 of town of Jasper and much of Jasper National Park have been destroyed by fire. Tragic!! Oh dear…….

Our new place is lovely. Natalie and I have been getting it ready for the BIG MOVE. Our garage sale was a huge success. We got rid of everything!!! Our move date is September 13. On the 12th the packers come. Linda, her mum and 14 year old daughter come on the 24th of this month so it’s coming quickly. They leave Sept 4th and we will be rumbling. The new owners take possession of our house October 1st!!! I will send you pictures on your email when we get settled.

Talk about rambling on 😳 Anyway you have a lovely day. I hope all went well at the dermatologist. 😊😊

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦