summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, July 27, 2024

you win some, you lose some...

 Yesterday, a very embarrassing thing happened to me.  I was home all alone (Sonja was sleeping, as she worked the night shift).  I had on a stained around-the-house tank top, and my comfy ratty shorts.  I went outside to putter, check the plants, ect., when a delivery truck pulled in.  I thought it might be my new computer battery, so I had better wait out there, as they had attempted to deliver the day before and said no on was home.  I walked down the driveway to the truck, and the guy said our driveway looked like his used to, when all of his kids lived at home (all the cars!)(we have the truck, my car, grandma's car, Sonja's car, Jon's truck, Jon's car )(which wasn't there).  I asked him how many kids he had, three.  He asked me how many I had, and well, I told him. He was stunned.  He insisted on carrying all the boxes up the deck steps for me, I thanked him profusely, he left, narrowly avoiding stepping in a huge fly covered pile that one of the lazy Labs left, right in the driveway!  I know it was Suri, she's getting old, but still, how awful of her, and so embarrassing.  Of course I cleaned it up right away, but hadn't gotten to it yet because I just noticed it as the truck was pulling in.  I was mortified.  ugh.

But, the boxes he delivered?  A few months ago, I had ordered a bag of dog food from Walmart, and was just under for free shipping.  So I bought a set of solar string lights, little Coleman lanterns, so cute!  I did not need them, dithered and dathered, finally just decided to buy them, for the new camper.  

The order was delayed, then finally determined to be lost in transit, after weeks had passed, so I was issued a refund.  I tried to reorder the lights but they were out of stock.  Oh well.  So yesterday, imagine my surprised when in addition to the huge-0 bag of dog food I had ordered the day before, I got another one, AND the set of solar lights!  They were ordered in June!  I do wonder where they had been all this time, and my card was not charged for them, as the order was canceled.  

When I opened the box though, and saw those little lantern lights, I was ridiculously happy.  I do adore them. 

My sister and I brought our Aunt out to lunch at Panera Bread.  The coffee there is quite good, the strawberry poppyseed salad with pecans and chicken, well it was good, but not 14 dollars good.  There were four little slices of chicken, it was just a chintzy salad.  But you don' just pay for your bowl of food, you pay for the rent of the building, the taxes, the salaries, all those expenses.  To be fair, we did sit in there for a while, and it was very pleasant.   

Paul is home, I picked him up from the airport last evening.  The drive there, ugh, traffic was backed up on the Thruway to an absolute crawl, bumper to bumper stop and go, for miles!  I don't like driving in the dark, alone, but at least it wasn't raining, or snowing!  

This fine morning, this beautiful summer morning, I turned the hose on for a bit to top off the pool, put away a few dishes, wiped down the stove, then sat here with my coffee, ahhh.  I need to get up and get moving, because some grandkids are coming over, I want to make sure to rake up the yard and clean the floors (because baby Blythe!)

So it's nice to have Paul home again, two weeks was just too long.  I enjoyed having my space, and reading far into the night, and hogging the whole bathroom, draping my stuff all over, but it's good to have him home.  Ha, I had to clean it all up yesterday:)

The dogs were SO excited to see him!  Oh my goodness, Sunny was beside herself.  Now she's not going to know what to do, she's so used to following me all around!  

Ah well....enjoy your summer day!



2 comments:

Mari said...

I felt the same when Bob was gone for the week, last week. I read late, watched what I wanted to watch, hardly cooked - but was glad to see him back!

Linda said...

I am glad to know Paul is home safe and sound. What a nice surprise you got! smiles.