summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, July 25, 2024

the countdown...

 ...the wedding is in just three weeks.  Yesterday I went with Miss Sonja K. to have her second fitting, the work is done, her wedding dress is beautiful.  It has a long train that hooks up underneath, for after the ceremony.  We opted to have the seamstress to steam it for us too, so when she picks it up, it'll be all ready.  

We meandered through Target when we were through, got a half off Starbucks coffee, then went to Walmart.  She had gotten a nice lamp from the thrift store, and we had to find just the right lampshade.  We dawdled in there a bit, because we were meeting a lady in the parking lot for an easel, which is needed to hold a welcome sign, as in Welcome to the wedding of Sonja and Oscar...very lovely, and extremely reasonable.  

One little detour to a bakery, then home...ahh, home.  I was going to Ben and Ashley's for dinner, so I brought half-moon cookies.  Oh, that bakery, the Harrison Bakery, heavenly.  The lemon danish looked so good, I got one for my sister, then added a lemon headlight too.

Ben and Ashley's house, too much fun.  Declan is two years old now, and he has an arm on him.  He loves to throw the ball and is delighted when you catch it and toss it back.  He can talk, and he can play games...if I call him Daddy, then point to his dad and say that's Declan, that's hilarious to him.  They went all out, and grilled steak, made baked potatoes, and a nice salad...it was amazing.  I tried to help clean up after dinner, but the girls didn't let me.  They get stars for doing jobs, and they are racking them up towards a prize.

When I got home, I was locking up doors, and discovered that one little Miss Suri had peed and pooped in the hallway.  ugh.  She is old, but jeepers.  It's not fun.  The rest of the night was much less eventful.  

This fine morning, I went to water aerobics.  I talked to Suzanne on the phone, she's getting married in October, so plans are underway.  I am making cupcakes for both weddings, so I need to try out the recipes first.  

I'm leaving here in just a bit to go to Margaret and Adrian's house, then bringing Suri to get her stitches taken out.  (She got into the garbage when I was outside at the pool today...stinker.).  She's so good and sweet and friendly and bad.  

It's quiet here.  Sonja is working tonight, so she's sleeping.  The crickets are cricketing, the breeze is blowing, a few birds singing, but that's about it.  I don't watch t.v., I've never actually turned ours on to watch anything by myself.  I only watch if the girls or Paul turn something on.  I do read the news online, but that's about it.  I do not like background noise of tv, at all.  I cannot stand it.  I only want it on if I am watching it.  

And, now it is another day!  I got to see Wulf, Tennyson, Blythe, Achilles, Rhys, and Jamie yesterday at Margaret's house!  Emily went with me, and we got there right as Darius and Adrian came in the door with their sister Rosie, from taking the kids bowling.  They were so happy to see us, there's nothing like a Tennyson hug!  Then Rhys, oh she's so sweet, sitting on my lap.  Margaret had finished work for the day, and made some dinner.  When the kids finished eating, I suggested a trip to the playground across the street.  Em and I brought Wulf, Tenny, Achilles, and Rhys.

We stayed until one of the boys informed us that he had to poop, and it was obvious he had waited until the last minute, so we scrambled out of there, and made it home in time.  It's a great way to leave the playground without all the fuss and drama of kids wanting to stay longer, btw.  

Blythe is pulling herself up and getting in to as many things as possible these days.  There's one little end table they have, and nothing is allowed on it, she just keeps it cleaned off.  She rummaged around in my purse, and pulled out all the doggie poop bags I stuffed in there, because we brought Suri with us.

Suri went to the vet after our visit to Margaret's house...good thing Emily decided to go with us, poor dog cannot get even her front paws into the car, she needs a total boost.  I got her into the car before picking up Emily, but Em helped her the other times.  The vet visit was quick, but Suri was rather nervous, panting and getting all worked up.  She was a good girl though, and the stitches came out, everything healed up nicely, and we were on our way back out to boost her into the car. 

This fine day I will be bringing Emily and Mariel to the airport, as they are going out to Washington State for a vacation, climbing and hiking in the Cascades.  

Tomorrow night I pick Paul up from the airport, finally, two weeks is a long time for your husband to be in Budapest!  

Today is an absolutely beautiful summer day.  It's breezy and partly sunny, not humid at all.  The curtains are billowing in the breeze, and the air is fresh and delicious.  Our dryer stopped working right after Paul left, so there's a rack in the kitchen with clothes draped on it, dry and ready to put away.  Never mind that I swept yesterday, it has to be done again today.  There are still toys about from the grandkids' visit the other day, and the dishes are all washed but the dry ones need to be put away.  

There is puttering around to do, and I'm getting up from the comfy chair to do it.  My coffee is almost gone, and the second cup will be after I do some things around here.  I have one Miss Kettler, Old Kitty, on the arm of my chair, Sunny at my feet, and Suri a few feet away.  They've all been outside and been fed, and are lazier than the day is long.  

The finite-ness of summer just baffles me.  When I was a kid, summer was one half of the year, winter the other half.  I don't know when I realized that summer is only a few months, here in the northeast.  September is a beautiful month, but the nights get cold and swimming in the pool is very limited, just the first few weeks if you're lucky.  July is passing by in a big hurry, then August has a wedding smack in the middle...but oh I hope it takes it time going by!

Ah well.  I have things to do, so off I go...have a really nice day.  And shh, President Harris?  I hope not.


3 comments:

Betty said...

Oh how I miss half moon cookies here in Florida they make a black and white but no comparison. Growing up in bville I would go to the corner bakery on my school lunch hour pig out on half moons and walk back up the hill to school. some days I went to Woolworths lunch counter ordered a pineapple sundae for lunch. Memories ! How exciting your family will have a summer wedding enjoy! Keep praying for America and president trump.

16 blessings'mom said...

Betty, half moon cookies are SO good. I went to a different bakery today, and bought one for Sonja. She took it to her night shift in her lunch box, so no taste for me. I did, however, buy two cannoli, one chocolate and one vanilla...I cut both in half, ate the halves, and had to slap myself silly so I didn't go eat Sonja's halves. I love that you got to leave school on lunch, and that half moons were a good lunch:). We also used to leave school, it wasn't even lunch, we would decide to go to breakfast at this place that served for $1.99....it was a lot for us then, imagine that! The security guard would just wave to us and tell us to have a good time. We somehow never got in trouble. Where was the Woolworths? I am praying for America, and for President Trump. There are some really evil people out there, some haters.

Betty said...

Woolworths was next door to the furniture store and across the street from titcombs. When we lived in foxfire the library was in the old Woolworths the new library was built sometime after we moved to florida.