summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, May 2, 2008

aah, friday

Molly Rose skipped school today. She is 14 years old, and such a great daughter. She's funny, and helpful, and just a joy to be around. So how can I be upset that she skipped today? I did what any nice mommy would do, I took her shopping. We parked the van in the parking lot of the Payless shoe store, and put Camille in the carriage, and Charlotte Claire in the stroller. Molly found some shoes, and I found a pair for Margaret ,11,(which just happen to fit perfectly, and she loves them) because when shoes are buy get 1 for 1/2, you have to buy two pairs...so both pairs for $10.50.

Then we went into the Salvation Army store, and got Jonathan a Bob the Builder book, and a Thomas the Tank engine movie, which they are watching now. Eight of them are watching it. And I got some little clothes from the 50cent bin. The next stop was the pet shop. Oh man, I should not go in there. The mice and birds don't do too much for me, but the puppies, oh my goodness, I can barely resist. If they were giving them away for free, I'd probably have brought at least two home. How can anyone look at a puppy and not believe in God? We aren't getting a puppy until: Champ the stinky but faithful dog passes away, and the kids get a bit older. Puppies and toddlers are too much work together. Then we went to Marshalls, and found Kathryn some sandals, as her other new ones hurt her feet.... then to the Dollar Tree for some miscellaneous snacks...the kids like those big pretzels that go in the microwave, a six pack for a buck, not too bad these days.


Well, we walked back to the van, got in while I nursed Camille, then put her back in the carriage and went in the Chinese restaurant for a late lunch. Baby slept through the whole thing, and Mr. Jonathan really enjoyed his lunch. Charlotte Claire had some tea with sugar, which she ate with a spoon. Then I filled her teacup with icecubes, she had two servings of that. Plus she had lots of oranges, and green beans.

I'd like to say that after this we headed home, but we still had to stop at Wal-mart for bananas, lettuce, some lunch meat, and milk. As if all this wasn't enough for one day, Joe, 16, called me when I was leaving Wal-Mart, asking please if I would go to Staples and get him this drawing thing that hooks up to the computer so he can draw on the computer. They didn't have one, but he owes me anyway....

Then in the door with all the stuff, and time to make dinner: homemade pizza...the little kids love to help spread the dough, and put on the cheese. Even Charlotte Claire helped, which means one mouthful of mozzarella, then one handful on the pizza...she had no nap today, and she's almost 2 years old, not a good combination. This evening was hectic for her, she fell out of the chair when making the pizza....then fell again. A cup of mini-ice cubes helped, but she was very glad to get to bed tonight.

Sonja celebrated her birthday in school today with Swiss Rolls and Kool-aid coolers. Oh, the days gone past when I made beautiful cupcakes.....oh well, the kids just eat the frosting anyway. Tomorrow is a very special day: Sonja will be six years old, and we are going to a conference with our church. Friends from Ottowa, Toronto, Detroit, Delaware, Conneticut, and Ohio will be there. We have meetings, to be encouraged in our faith, and to endure in our trials, and then spend the free time just catching up and talking. The kids have more fun than I can describe, playing on the playground and running around. And, we have a snack-bar, candy store....that's one thing I enjoy, selling candy to the kids. I get to know them, and talk to them. They are so funny. Most of the families accept the children from God freely, and there are so many big families. So I get a chance to talk to some others who I can relate to. Sometimes when I'm out and about with the kids, other women look at me like I have antlers when they find out how many kids I have. But really, I am just a person who happens to have been really really blessed with lots of kids. Kids who at this very minute are going crazy-they do this kicking thing on the couch, where they lay feet-to-feet, and kick. And they stack the couch pillows up, and jump on them. They are wild. And I am ignoring them, as is daddy, who is playing his guitar as if the noise from the kicking party isn't enough. And: I have to go prepare food for tomorrow, and get some clothes out for little kids so it goes smoother in the morning. I sure don't feel like it. Camille is taking a nap, and I still have to get her back up so she doesn't wake up at dawn. But I truly thank God for these guys. They keep me humble.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I followed you here from my Mom's blog... She has seven kids and I am one of them :)

I wanted to tell you that I can relate to this sentence- they do this kicking thing on the couch, where they lay feet-to-feet, and kick. And they stack the couch pillows up, and jump on them. We used to play the kicking game as kids, not sure if it was in love or not though. Lots of kids is lots of fun.