summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, May 1, 2008

time just flies

I have some clean clothes in the dryer, wet ones in the washer, and tons in the hampers....I have a livingroom that needs to be picked up and vacuumed, and a floor that was swept, and needs mopping. So why do I sit here typing? Because I made lasagna. I deserve 100 bonus points for that. I included Jon and Charlotte Claire in making it, fed them cheese and showed them how lasagna is made. I made two 13by9 pans.....and then I wanted to make brownies or cookies for dessert, but just didn't feel like it. I always think chocolate is good after saucy things, which is probably one of the reasons my figure ain't what it used to be. My sister always said Pizza Hut would make a mint if they sold brownies....

Cailliou is on tv here at 2:00 in the afternoon, followed by Bob the Builder. Jon tunes in a few times a week, and I'm smart if I use this time productively. Is this productive? Life goes smoother when I keep the place clean and semi-organized, but I have to have down time or I get so frazzled. I'm pretty sure what I write here is rather boring, but I find it almost therapeutic to write.

The days just fly by. Every day when I get those last four little girls on the bus, I read the paper and drink my coffee. I am just like my parents were. Jon is usually up, and he plays quietly for that time. I wanted to get outside with the kids today, but that hasn't happened yet. I get invisible bonus points for that, too. When I bring Camille out too, I get 200.

Emily Anne called from England yesterday to say they got there safely. It feels weird to have my kids on another continent. Even though Emily is an adult. I think it would be really hard to have them decide to live in another state or country someday....

My little girls want to go clean out our camper. We keep it out at our church conference center, about 10 miles from here. We stay in it out there a few times a year, when we have weekends with friends from other states, and countries, too. And usually for a week for summer conference. And sometimes we tow it behind the huge van, and go camping. In New York State, we have the Adirondack mountains, and some very nice camping. Plus Lake Ontario, with sandy ocean-like beaches....Our camper is 35 ft. long, and when it's hitched to our van, it is quite monstrous. I don't even like to think what it will cost in gas money to tow it this year...but camping with all these kids is quite an adventure. It's not exactly a vacation, because they still all need to be fed and clothed, washed and cuddled....but we're away from the phones, and tv., and activities....those nights around the campfire are priceless. And lazy days at the beach. I usually bring the playpen with a bugnet, and a battery powered noisemaker to drown out the noise, and the baby takes a nap in the shade at the beach....yes, in the Adirondacks, the beaches usually have shade. We bring our pickup, too, with me at the wheel. We pack it full with bicycles, the wagon, and some firewood. I don't think I would attempt to pull that camper for all the money in the world. So I drive the truck, looking wistfully at all the garage and lawn sales we pass on the way. I always think it would be hilarious to stop and buy maybe a little tikes vanity set, or basketball hoop, and have it in our campsite all week. Paul wouldn't exactly kill me, but.....my teenagers might.

Wow, Calliou is over, and Bob is on already. My time to relax goes so fast! My Camille is up now, and Charlotte Claire has to be put in for her nap, and then on to that laundry.....I don't get any points for laundry. But hey, if I make those cookies, I get like a million points from my kids.

4 comments:

Martha said...

You are a very brave woman. (People tell me that sometimes. But I'm not quite as brave as you.) Thank you for stopping by my blog, Neighbor! :)

Martha said...

You are right (I have been doing some reading here...), our children ARE a blessing and I often wonder why anyone in their right mind would want only two. What fun is that? I miss having a house full of little people... Well, sometimes I do. Maybe I should start a new collection.

Jessica said...

I love reading your blog, even if it is just about what you did that day. Getting to see into the life of someone with such a big family helps me to not whine about not being able to get things done with one and a half children (I'm pregnant). Thanks for writing.

mommeeof10 said...

My hubby loves camping. We have the big tents, air matresses that always leak and 2 coleman stoves. I've always wanted a camping trailer. We only camp once every few years, so it would not be cost effective.