summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

the day that the Lord has made....

I reminded my Evelyn that this is that day. The one that the Lord has made, the one we shall be glad and rejoice in. She has no skirts. None. None in that long line of hanging skirts matched the shirt and leggings she had on. Jonathan did not want to go to school, but did want to show his friends his lost tooth. Suzanne says she is skipping tomorrow or Thursday. Evelyn walked out in a pair of jeans, which I object to. I did not want to have a big fuss before she went off to school. I just told her she is not doing it again. This is an area for me that I am getting unsure of. Our girls have always worn skirts to school, and to everywhere. Until the last few years. Mali mostly wears jeans. Margaret always wears skirts. They are getting to the age they can decide for themselves. I know a few of my older girls look back and think wearing the skirts to school preserved them from a lot. I don't know. It would be easier, but easier isn't always right. And in my humble opinion, ha, little girls in skirts and skorts with tights and leggings look loved. They look clean and neat and respectable. Little girls in jeans and tight pants look just wrong to me. I am not saying they are not loved, but they just look that way. Again, just my humble opinion, ha. I don't want to make this a huge issue, up to now, the girls have been fine with this. But winter time comes, they have to wear tights, the tights are hot in school, hot in gym, and I do not want them to suffer unnecessarily. There is just such a spirit in the world, a spirit of growing up too fast for little girls. They wear make-up at younger and younger ages, and have boyfriends, and yuck. My older girls have been able to get through their teen years remaining pure and keeping themselves from these things. I'm sure it hasn't been easy for them, but they have chosen to. I just want to give the younger ones all the help I can to remain free from the snares in this world.

Anyway, Sonja gets another day at home. She is all stuffy, and I really need another day with her. She needs lots of attention to thrive. Today I will go for a walk with her like I wanted to yesterday.

Today someone is coming over to look at the pressure switch on the water tank. Yay! He is my niece's husband. I hope it takes five minutes and costs like fifty bucks. Hey, ya never know!

The house doesn't look quite as bad this morning as it did yesterday morning, but dear me, I do not feel like doing it all again. Last night Benjamin brought Joseph, Aaron, Margaret, Kathryn, and Evelyn to soccer practice and the boys were going to practice something surprise for our fall feast on Friday night. So they did not eat dinner with us. It was just Paul and I, Abigail, Mali, Sam, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille at the table. Camille ate like three bites of lasagna, then ate the butter off her French bread. And asked for more, ate that, and asked for more. I hid the butter after three servings and said it was all gone. A lie for a good cause. She didn't eat anything else, but she drank her ice water. As long as she is drinking alot she should be okay.

Well, the kids who were gone came home and heated up some lasagna (except for Evelyn who had a big bowl of Fruity Pebbles). And sort of cleaned up their mess. The salad bowl is still out, and the empty lasagna pan did not get washed. The living room is still pretty clean though. I don't know why I care. I tell the kids that one of these days I am just going to give up and let it get awful in here.

Paul and I have still not made reservations for our trip. I am thinking he wants to see about the water situation first. There is no particular hurry anyway, we wouldn't be going for like five weeks. ha. I will be truly surprised and shocked if we actually go. Part of me doesn't really want to go. I mean, Jamaica? Me? I don't exactly look like a babe in my bathing suit, if you know what I mean. I actually wear these big shorts, ugly shorts with stripes down the side over my suit to hide my thighs. I can just see me mushing through the water to get to the waterbar for an iced-tea, with my shorts billowing out in the water. oh my goodness. Has anyone here ever been on a Carribean vacation? Do all the women look like the ones in the ads? Are there any motherly types, or should I just say FAT People? I am sort of dreading it. It is one thing to not care what people think, it is another thing to try to lie down on a beach lounge and wonder the whole time if I am going to be able to get back up. (without tipping it over) Oh, this is the stuff nightmares are made out of. I wish we could just get our own private island.

Oh well. I have five weeks to lose like a thousand pounds. ha. I better go for that walk today.

7 comments:

Tereza said...

I have no advice...neither about skirts/pants or the carribean:):):)
I wear pants 99% of the time and so do my girls. My 13 year old girl is the oldest girl in the family so I don't have grown daughters yet. I just know that at a very young age she hated skirts and I decided that I was not going to breed rebellion in her (back when I used to wear skirts full time)and just let her wear pants. She just wanted to be warm and comfortable. And now that I wear pants too I understand and od find it warmer and more comfortable. We both dress normal, not extra tight and it hasn't been a problem for her at school. She enjoys the youth gatherings and all that kind of stuff so all I can say is that pants have not been an issue AT ALL. I guess it depends on the child too....if one is more boy crazy or something then pants might be an issue...but then again...would wearing skirts change the heart? Or would that girl sneak pants in her bag and change at scool..breeding rebellion?~
So anyway just sharing what has been our experience here in our little corner of the world....just chatting...one mommy to another:)

Grace said...

My husband and I go on a "warm destination" vacation every year. I a no "skinny winny" but don't ever feel out of place. Most people are not models. Most people who can afford to go to destination resorts are older and have experienced life (ie children!). In other words, yes there are FAT people. Go and enjoy yourself.

FLmom7 said...

I wonder which part of Jamaica you are planning on going to. We went to Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios, Jamaica...stayed at a Sandals hotel (for our honeymoon, 17 yrs ago) and it was so worth it. I sure don't remember people there looking like the ones in a magazine, lol. It is so relaxing, you should go if you can, and enjoy it! ;-)

Virginia Revoir said...

I would want to go on an island so I don't have to feel silly around the babes! I know what you mean. :) Don't stay home though! Just find a hidden part of a beach. LOL. You can't miss out of something like that. Unless of course it's a nude beach. Ahem.

You are right about how little girls are dressed these days. I am going to pay more attention about that now with my girls since you mentioned it.

Book Lover said...

Hahaha, we went on a bahama cruise a few years back and I worried about the same things. Let me tell you, there is NOTHING to worry about. The people came in all shapes and sizes and everyone was soo friendly. Even large (fat) women were wearing 2 piece suits and the men? well lets just say there should be a law against men in thongs. Yuck!! Go and have a blast. You'll be glad you did.

Kim Chrisman

cheryl said...

You can always ditch Paul and bring me..

Cassandra said...

In totally agree with you on the skirt thing, Paige nearly always wears skirts now and all of her clothes are very modest.
I used to wear pants but then i realised that i wasnt really setting an example so i only wear skirts now too....