summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 5, 2009

that dreaded phone call......

For some reason, when Abigail calls from work, or from her stops on the way home from work, I always answer the phone with a bit of dread. After all, she works downtown, and her car in a '95 Buick. So when she called this afternoon and said, "Mom....", in that voice, that something-is-wrong-voice, my legs started to turn to jelly.....(don't worry, she is fine!), but she did run a red light, we think. She isn't sure, since she didn't see the light at all, didn't know a light was there, just heard honking and then smash! She ran right into someone. She said the sun was really bright, and she was lost because she only knows one way home and she couldn't go that way for some reason.......the good thing was that she didn't get a ticket. And her car is still drivable, just not quite so pretty as the average '95 Buick.

It seems to me that no matter how old they get, they are still my kids and I am still their mommy. When Abigail started to tell me what happened, she was choked up and starting to cry...and I told her it was okay to cry, the adrenaline kicks in and that is the reaction our bodies have, don't worry about it. Poor girl. She lives out in the country, and doesn't really know her way around the city. She needs to learn. And she needs a better car, one of these days.

Tonight after a nice spaghetti dinner, I decided that Aaron and Mali should paint the laundry room quick. No spackling, just a quick paint with the leftover kitchen paint. We needed rollers, and a piece of linoleum for the floor, and some glue. So Aaron, Mali, and I went off to our local Lowes. $39.99 for a piece of linoleum, which was pretty reasonable. They are finished with the first coat already. Sonja K. gets to skip school tomorrow. I don't know why we are doing the skipping thing this week, but we are. She is so excited, she got to stay up late, and she actually changed Camille's diaper, put her into her jammies, and put her to bed. But Camille wanted the "Butterfly" song, so Margaret held her and rocked her and sung to her.....then Sonja put Charlotte to bed. She was so proud of herself, seven years old, and tucking the little ones in. They complied so nicely for her. I think we'll have a nice day tomorrow. I don't know where we'll go yet.....but it is not fun to be here while they are cleaning.

2 comments:

cheryl said...

Gee.. I started to turn to jelly when I began reading your post!! I'm so glad she's okay, Thank God. The sun was amazingly bright today on the way home.. I couldn't believe how many cars coming in the other direction didn't have their lights on! Couldn't they tell that we couldn't see them? It was somewhat scary driving, and I had dark sunglasses on. I know what you mean about the kids not knowing their way around the city.. I do, and it's still tough driving with all of the traffic, and everyone seems so impatient, it's not like one would have to be la-de-da, but, please, isn't it worth it to be a little more careful?? Well. Tell her I pray for the youthful drivers quite often. I'm glad she's okay.

AUTISMOMMA said...

So glad to hear Abigail is fine! That must have been scary for her.

I can definitely sympathize with the desire to leave the house when people are there working. We're working on the bathroom now and these men are trekking through here a million times to go get things off the truck and do this and do that. And while I really do want my bathroom to be done, I just wish I could wave a wand instead of having to make sure I have errands to do to be out of the house while they are here.