summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 15, 2009

interesting life...

Today, something happened to one of my kids, and I encouraged her to see the big picture. "Without a vision the people perish", proverbs 29, 18. Also that "God is oppposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble," 1st Peter, 5 v. 5. So the crushings can come, but" if God is for us, who can be against us?", Romans 8, v.31. He knows what we need. She has said I can tell what happened, Abigail got fired today from her nice new job. She was pretty shocked. She came home early, and I was alarmed. I knew something bad had happened, and to tell the truth, I was glad it was that instead of something worse. Because there are worse things. ( I do try not to worry about my kids, but even when they grow up, it is there) Anyway, they told her they thought she didn't seem to like the job very much, blah blah blah. She really has no idea why. It must hurt.

So I comforted and encouraged her. Then Paul came in from work and told me that the septic tank has collapsed. He called a guy who is coming to look at it tomorrow. I immediately thought of my own words. Because it seems like one thing after another. In fact, I started the day today with the thought, "Wonder what will happen today?" But God does not allow these things to happen to punish us, no, He wants us to be saved in the situations. To be cleansed and changed and be free from anxiety.

I have all the bags of clothes sorted now. But they are far from put away. There are piles and piles in the living room, on my short-lived-clothes-free-couch. But it feels nice to be making some progress. And I am not going to talk about clothes anymore.

This afternoon while I was busy sorting, I asked one of the girls to make some rice, and put something in the oven for me. When I thought the rice might be done, I asked someone specifically to turn it off. Oops, they heard me, but got sidetracked and forgot. It was so burnt we couldn't eat it. And we didn't notice it was burning because Mali was being sweet to Abigail, and baking her a lovely cake in the springform pans, which leaked all over my new oven, setting the smoke alarm off and scaring poor Jon, who spent at least a half hour hovering in the vicinity of the door, just in case we had to leave quick. Oh Jon, I tried to explain that it was okay, there was smoke, but no fire, the oven is new, it is okay. He insisted he ALREADY knew all this, he was just standing there in case. So dinner was sparse, but it seemed to go around, and the cake was heavenly. Even though they used granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar in the frosting. It was chocolate, and it sunk into the cake and was very good. Like I said, I am not a good judge, because I have never met a cake I didn't like.

So, when Abigail told me what happened, I said, "Oh good, you can help me with these clothes!", and she said she had thought I would say that very thing. I am not really glad, but hey, she can still help me....."A mans heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps", proverbs...Ab said that God must just have other plans for her.

Well, goodnight!

2 comments:

cheryl said...

Interesting.. I was thinking that very same thing, that God must have different plans for her, or he was protecting her from something, we may never know.. I've been somewhat bothered by something recently, and was really working at being at rest, etc., and it came to me, I believe from God, that we don't see the "whole picture", but He does, and that alone takes the anxiety away. I understand it's painful for Abigail, but she may look back and say "Oh, that's why that happened!" And if not, she still has an opportunity to be faithful and stand firm!
Poor Jon!! Does he still have his fireman's hat?

Minabird said...

Tell Abigail I am sorry for her. I know how it feels.