summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

happy easter!

It is Easter today in our house. We are celebrating early because some of my girls are going to Detroit for the weekend with girls from their youth group, to visit some church friends.

The Easter tablecloth is on, and the little kids think it is grand. Poor Camille, she thought she was going to "get big" on Easter. The first thing she said to me this morning was, "I am still little, I did not get big!" They want their baskets, which I have not filled yet.

Paul is home, and it is so nice. It was just so good to see him when he walked in that door with his suitcases. He has the next few days off, so he is on vacation too! But ha, he has things to do. Mirielle said something is wrong with the treadmill,the refridgerator leaked a huge puddle again last night, and the van has a headlight out. And no, I cannot do those things. Well I probably could, but nah...

Jon and Charlotte Claire and Camille are playing cops and robbers. They have walkie-talkies, which are excellent toys for kids. Jon keeps yelling, "I need back-up!" Camille does not understand what this means, she keeps saying, "I need back-up too!" She also does not have the hang of using the walkie-talkie, she just shouts into it without pushing the button down. It sounds like they are not co-operating with Jon because he just asked them if they want to be kicked out, and I hear their silly laughter....poor Jon.

Sinus headache today, blah. The kind that pounds when I do things....but I am going on my walk anyway. I have to. Especially with the upcoming Easter Dinner: Ham (Wegman's ham is lower sodium, and extra yummy), brown and serve rolls, applesauce, pinapple slices (not for me, I am allergic), asparagus, and mashed potatoes. I figure if I have ham and asparagus, and maybe a spoonful of potatoes...and a half cup of applesauce....never mind.

Last night we had so much fun! Evelyn was rolling the pizza dough out when I came back from the dr. with Aaron...we had also stopped at the store, so we had milk and bread and jelly beans and apples and bananas to bring in...anyway, somehow Joseph and Aaron were the pizza makers! I cut up the peppers and olives and tomatoes while they cooked the bacon and built the pizzas. Joe put hot pepper rings on one of them. The two of them are so funny. They bug the life out of Rosie, but I think they really like her. In the middle of this, Mali called from the track bus, she was going to be back from her track meet and had to be piced up from the school. Kathryn needed to be picked up from her cousin's house, so out the door I went. Poor Mali, it had snowed all day on them, she didn't run so well, she pulled a muscle last week.

Anyway, by the time we were done with our salad and pizza, Paul was home! There is nothing like hearing the kids shout DADDY DADDY and run into his arms telling him they love him and missed him. The older kids are more reserved of course, but they were all glad to see him.

Benjamin recieved his orders. I don't know if he wants me to put it on here, but he will be out West. I told him I will most certainly and most definitely be coming to visit him. There are church friends out there I would love to meet! Ben always referrred to "the luck of the draw" when talking about where he would be stationed. I always corrected him and said that God has His hand on him, and would place him where it was best for him. I know the word DEPLOYMENT is in the forefront of his mind. We all know when someone joins the Army they are signing up to go to war. But when it starts to get real, it is scary. He just wants to spend some time with his wife right about now. He is doing well in his Medic training though. He is focused and disciplined, which is a good thing, since the instructors will fine the guys $500 for forgetting their homework.....

It is warm out today, almost 60, but rainy. 80% chance of rain, thunderstorms forecast. Tomorrow is going to be very chilly again, low forties. And rainy. Then Friday perhaps fifty something and partly sunny...then rainy for the weekend. Rain is good and the farmers need it...but the kids in this house need to get outside on their vacation. Today since it is warm I shall encourage them to ride their bikes in the driveway...the yard is pretty soggy.

3 comments:

Sherah said...

I just got back from Arizona with DH and the first thing I did this morning was sit down to a big half of a watermelon (chilled, it's the best!) at the computer to check up on your blog. =)

First, I am SO EXCITED that you might be coming out west!!!! I hope we can meet someday ... Macleay is a really special place; you'll love it. =)

Second, I did not know that you had morning sickness with all 17 of your pregnancies + 4 miscarriages, Oh my gosh!!! I am in week 8 of my 9th pregnancy...(but have 7 children, that includes one miscarriage)...and I just told Bret the other day, "Remind me when we have the baby that this was all worth it, ok??" He just laughed and said ok, but you do know that you say that every time, right?

I was like...um...I do? Cuz it seems like THIS time is harder than any other time...but I also think that we forget, too. I can't imagine going through this much sickness, for weeks and weeks and WEEKS on end, only to lose the baby. It is such a suffering, but with such a JOY for the future that I am able to bear it. My heart really goes to those like you who have lost the baby, then had to go through it again - not just again, but the next time wondering if it would be all for nothing, AGAIN.

I'm so proud of you for working so hard to lose weight!!! I am working really hard this pregnancy not to gain as much weight - what you wrote is SO TRUE, that if you had taken care of yourself better then things wouldn't have been as hard physically. I experienced this with some experimentation after eating crap for the first 5 pregnancies and gaining 50 lbs each time.

I hated the way I felt, looked, bleh, but I thought that's just how it was. Heartburn, aches, pains, swollen...but the last 2 I wised up and ate very healthy - lots & lots of fruits & veggies and NO taco bell or Dairy Queen + a little exercise and I am telling you, a WORLD of difference.

All of a sudden I WAS that cute little pregnant mama that I always would wistfully wish I could be. No heartburn, I felt light on my feet, gained 22 lbs, felt FANTASTIC and lost it fairly quickly afterwards.

My point for you though, lol, is that I think you are totally right in that once you lose a good chunk you're going to start feeling amazing and it's like a whole new world will open to you. This summer I have a feeling will be like none other for you!! It's way easier to exercise in beautiful weather...I'm hoping to (once this blah first trimester gets over!)get up at 5:30 before Bret goes to work, and go for a long jog/walk - there is nothing in the world like crisp, cool morning air on a summer day!

I hope you have a lovely Easter and thoroughly enjoy having Paul home - we have conference this weekend (Brunstad transmissions) but we'll do our baskets in the morning before leaving for the meeting. I only have 1 stuffed bunny so far ... yikes! I suppose this year Harmony who is almost 2, will want a basket too...so 7 baskets for us. =)

Mom of 12 said...

Big families are so fun! I love that you have 16 kids. I have a bunch too, but not that many. We took them as they came...12 that range in ages from 26 to 6 months. I don't know, maybe we aren't done yet. But I'm getting old...46! Like you, my favorite thing in the world is the crazy chaotic feeling that comes with having all the kids around.
Sandy
www.twelvemakesadozen.blogspot.com

16 blessings'mom said...

Hi Sandy, pleased to meet you! And Sherah, I am really hoping to take a trip out your way when Ben is stationed there. My oldest daughter Emily spent 6 months on the "Gold Team" a few years back, at Macleay, and would love to go back for a visit. Watermelon: oh that sounds good. They are expensive here until summer hits....