summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, April 1, 2011

it was SO worth it....

Camille told me today that she loves me. She also said, "I love you when you take me to McDonalds! And I hate you when you don't!" All with that big smile on her face.

The three elementary kids had free Happy Meal certificates from school, so we went to day. I ate the burger from Jon's and bought him a chicken sandwich. Then I had a side salad and a fruit and yogurt parfait. And a coffee.

Easter candy...I let them each pick out a pack of Peeps. They come in so many colors now! They can't have any until Easter, but they had fun picking them. I stocked up on apples and bananas and grapefruit and red and green peppers. And milk and eggs and wraps and bread and juice and dogfood and detergent.

We are going to the pool soon. I found where some of the lost towels were. One of my sons apparently doesn't like his room very bright, so he used four large beach towels over his curtains and miniblinds. nice. I stole them, washed them, and packed them for the pool. If he wants it dark, he can close his eyes. Or find an old sheet. But leave my towels alone!

Anyway, we had such a good day today. The five of them (Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte and Camille) were so well-behaved. Suzanne and Sonja held the little girls' hands, and Jon walked in front of the cart and next to me and behind me and overall, we were continuously in someone's way. I tried to keep them near me and on one side of the aisle. Some people didn't mind when we came down an aisle, some people just were huffing in impatience. Camille dropped her bracelet in a puddle in the parking lot, and stopped to pick it up, which caused a lady to have to stop and wait for her. It WAS sprinkling out, but jeepers. I started to apologize on behalf of Camille, but didn't, as I was getting a little tired of people acting so put out just because they had to wait for us for a few seconds. Then I thought that would have been a perfect opportunity to be good, and that I should have been nice to that lady. Not that I was mean, but I didn't say anything where I usually would have. Most shoppers are nice and pleasant, today the store just seemed to have more of the other kind.

Popcorn. I could eat a whole bowl. I love popcorn. Panpopped with real butter, preferably, but microwaved is fine too. I buy the Orville Redenbocker's Tender White, so good, and the PopSecret Homestyle. But I am finding that a handful or two is fine. Oh, it is easy with all the kids around here I - just have to wait a few minutes, and it is all gone anyway.

I am off to make some dinner.....

4 comments:

michelle said...

hi i just wanted to know how much are you paying for bannanas?? We are paying $10.00 a kilo!!! It sounds like you have a lot of healthy options at mcdonalds we dont here Grrr!!!! I love reading your blog so please dont take this wrong, but i get phone calls from the school if the kids are not there they only dont go if they are really sick and i have to have a doctors certificate does your school contact you at all??

16 blessings'mom said...

Hi Michelle. Bananas are 50 cents a pound. Always, all year round. At Aldi, they are 40 cents a pound. I am allergic to bananas, pineapple, tropical fruit, but the kids eat them like crazy. And yes, McD's does have healthy options here, but I am trying not to go there at all. I LOVE their coffee though, the small size is on the dollar menu. And here in the U.S., small is LARGE. About school - I heard there will be a new attendance policy instituted next year in the elementary school, probably because of us. The high school kids have to have a dr. excuse if they leave early for an appointment, or go in late from one. rrr. Here in New York state, the homeschool guidelines are daunting for me. I would love to try it, but...so I just try to "share" them with the school until they are in the high school, then they really have to buckle down and study. Thankfully my kids are quick learners and get good grades easily. Oh, and to answer your question, yes, the school does call. I usually am truthful. I say if they just needed a day home, then it is put down as an Illegal Absence.

Tereza said...

Around my place... the missing towels are under a pile of teen clothes...still nice and wet:)
Glad you had a good day! Funny what your youngest said:):)

mommeeof10 said...

After we cleaned out my MIL's house, we had more than enough towels. I put all the wearing out ones in the van in a few large plastic bags. They are perfect for wiping up something the little kids spill, fine for going swimming also. That way, when they lose them, I won't get annoyed. LOL.

Rosalie (2 today) thinks she likes bananas. She usually peels them, takes a bite, then smooshes them or drops pieces all over the floor.