summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

the odds are against me....

wah. I read the morning paper. Most people who lose signifigant amounts of weight gain it back again. Doom and gloom. Yet I am comitted to doing this. I need to feel good again. I have put myself last for all these years as I, at the same time, made myself feel better with a bowl of ice cream or a stack of cookies. I remember days when I was so tired from being up with a baby, then all day long the only thing I could think of was NAP. Then the nap would be ruined by a two-year old who decided to climb out of bed and undress or the baby simply wouldn't fit into the other young ones' nap schedule. Or I would have appointments in the afternoon, and then go shopping...I would be exhausted. So I would have something good. Looking back, it is easy to see that I would have felt better if I had done things differently. But one thing I couldn't have changed: I was the Carb Queen with morning sickness, which I had for all seventeen pregnancies, plus for the four miscarriages. That is alot of carbs! Bagels, cinnamon toast, oatmeal...comfort foods that weren't horrendous to throw back up. sorry.

Anyway...I have my excuses and my reasons, and here I am. Ready to make changes and see changes. For good. Of course I would like to see more change on the scale, which is stubborn. I just always thought that when I decided to get healthy and start suffering a bit, those numbers would just drop. It ain't so. But even if I may not be the Weight Watcher's Poster Girl, I am doing more good than harm by eating right and excercising.

A few of my kids must have heard me say that my hampers are all empty. So they wet their beds. I don't mind. I know this sounds crazy, but I don't like having empty hampers! I go in there and look and there is nothing to wash! I did a load yesterday - two towels and some washcloths. I am my father! My father loved to do laundry. He liked to keep busy. He kept their hamper empty, and drove my poor mother crazy. If there was nothing in there to wash, he would bug her, certain that she must have SOMETHING she needed washed. This was in the later years, after he retired.

The kids are enjoying vacation despite the lousy weather. Playdough, playing dollhouse, running around with the Nerf guns, playing Wii, SIMS. There are trucks and toys and building blocks all over the living room. We also have the new stack of library books. I bought the movie, "Despicable Me" the other day...it is so hilarious. I love love love it.

Today I have to bring Aaron to the dr. I think I shall stop somewhere and get some jelly beans. I counted chocolate bunnies, there are at least sixteen. There are Reese's Peanutbutter Eggs, Cadbury chocolate eggs, chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies (two eight packs, one each), chocolate lollipops, and some chocolate foil eggs and bunnies....but no jelly beans. And since we are celebrating Easter tomorrow...I should get some.

Did I already say how much I like filling the baskets? I seriously love it that I get to do this. Samuel is usually my helper. He is great company, and enjoys doing these kinds of things with me.

We had meatloat, baked potatoes, and green beans for dinner last night. I make my meatloaf with lots of onions and cracker crumbs and oatmeal and garlic and onion powder and pepper...I separate the meat in each 13 by 9 pan into into eight smaller sections, so there are lots of crispy sides...I don't like soggy meatloaf.

Anyway....time to go for my walk....after I put some of that bedding into the wash....(and I don't really mind the empty hampers...it is just that all these years of wishing for them - it just isn't as gratifying as I had imagined)(and so many of the older kids do their own laundry now, it doesn't mean the house is free of dirty clothes....)

4 comments:

Tereza said...

I think its more the fad diets that are the ones they are talking about...where you loose like 40 pounds in 2 months (like atkins for example) and as soon as you stop OF COURSE you gain it back! If you loose the healthy way...for example you learn that comfort eating all the time is not healthy so you dont eat late at night anymore or when you are feeling down....well that's that much less calories forever. Thats just an example that is doable as opposed to some wacky diet that you KNOW there is no way you can sustain for the rest of your life. This is what they mean by "lifestyle change" instead of "diet"!! On the other hand...we are gentically predisposed to be a certain size and that may not be skinny minnie!:):) You just have to find what is that predisposed, healthy weight for you! What size would your body be if you had a well rounded HEALTHY way of living? ( Plenty of physical exercise,good healthy food, occasional treat, not overeating and not eating due to "feelings"...or at least not often..not as a habit.)
I also read that loosing as little as just 5% of your body weight will greatly reduce ones risk for diabetes and other illness. 5% is not that much and doable.
Sounds like you are doing great, making good choices and that's all that matters. The weight will come off slowly as it is meant to be!

sorry if all this sounds "preachy":):) It's just that I researched all this and have a great hate for the blurred distinction between health/beauty/and happiness in our culture! So many people are slaves to how they look and what they weigh! I know you're not but still...I just had to say!:) Hope that's OK!

Empty hampers: waaaaay overrated:):):)

Unknown said...

Taking care of yourself is more important than numbers right? Have you tried a Pilates class or DVD? I want to hear how you like it as it will kick your butt slowly:)) and effectively:))

Virginia Revoir said...

Oh man, I am washing and washing. We decided to start making a family closet in the garage for just the kids. Not adults and so far it's really helping just to take the clothes right out of the hamper and hang it up.

FLmom7 said...

Despicable Me is a great movie! We bought it too since we liked it so much.

As for the weight loss, you are doing so well taking care of yourself. Keep it up! You may be adding more years to your life by making healthy changes. I am working on losing 25 pounds (and it is not easy!). I just started using Walk Away the Pounds (1-4 mile workout) DVD because it is easy to start with. I got it for $10 on Amazon. Great for days when the weather stinks, you just do the dvd indoors.