summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, May 7, 2023

ahhh, a sunny Sunday...

 

Charlotte Claire, Camille, Kathryn, Evelyn, Sonja, and me.  We had too much fun.  We stopped at a small winery first, a very lovely place, and the older girls tasted a few.  Sonja didn't get asked for ID!  We went to dinner afterwards, had reservations for eight o'clock, and the older girls ordered one drink (I know, wild and crazy, but hey, glad my sweet daughter celebrated her 21st with her mama and sisters!)..and again, didn't get asked for ID.  

A lot of the fun was that we fit all in one vehicle, because my Mitsubishi has the back row seats that fold down when not in use.  There wasn't one minute of quiet in that car, and I loved it, even though they teased me about my driving.  I'm such an old lady, but I stopped myself from asking, "How many accidents have I had?", to Sonja, who's had three...but only one was her fault.   I stopped myself because that is just TEMPTING FATE.  It's being proud, and we all know what happens to the proud.  It's messing with karma, and all of that.   I'm not superstitious, just a little 'stitious.  

Anyway.  Here I sit blogging, need to get ready, going to church, then to Kathryn and Darius' for a picnic...Darius has a new smoker, and bought a huge brisket...mmmm. Evelyn is making macaroni and cheese with some fancy cheeses, Ashley is making coleslaw, Sam and Grace are bringing the stuff to make milkshakes, and I'm bringing a watermelon, some hotdogs and coneys, and some drinks.  

The forecast is absolutely breathtaking, for central New York:

I'll take it!

Ah well, Paul is back from going to town to get gas for the mower, and I'm still sitting here.  I need to move it...I have to wash out a few coolers, and maybe I'll cut the watermelon now...better than at Kathryn's house...and since we worked on the house we are fixing up all day yesterday, things here need attention.  

We are almost done.  I have been saying that for weeks, but all the loose ends!  There was a screen door on the house, an old aluminum storm door...the screen was gone, and it was dull and old.  So Paul removed the glass panel, took the door down and I spray painted it white.  He bought a panel of plexiglass, put that where the screen was, and put the glass back in.  He bought a new door handle, and the thing looks brand new.  (We didn't need the screen feature, as it's on a porch that has windows with screens).  Char and Cam painted the front porch boards, Sonja raked up old leaves and old garbage.  They left a broken grill, an old stroller, a lawn mower, wrappers and bottles and cans and trash...

Paul put the cabinet doors back on, and touched up paint that got dinged up in the transfer (ugh), then he put most of the hardware on.  I puttered and painted outside trim, washed and painted the back door on the outside, since it was nice out.   


We cleaned up most of that accumulation of stuff on the counter, wiped down appliances, scrubbed the paint out of the sink.  Paul replaced the toilet seat, the sink in the bathroom, and the ceiling fan.  We are almost done.  We have to sweep/vacuum again, mop the floors, take away the junk we cleaned up in the yard, wash a few windows...and we are DONE.

And...off I go..Paul is going there this afternoon to work, and I am not.  I'm going to Kathryn's, and I feel a bit bad, but I can't miss seeing everyone...


5 comments:

Carol said...

Your weather looks great! Hoping ours is the same soon

Diana said...

How do Sam and Grace make their milkshakes? When I make them for the grandkids, I use bananas, strawberries, frozen vanilla yogurt, and cinnamon. That's it. // Nice cabinet work! // We've had nothing but 90s and a few 80s here lately. There is no in-between season in Kansas. It's winter/summer/winter/summer/repeat. Bleah! // Hope you've had fun with the family today! Blessings to you!

Terri D said...

You are always busy but you also have so much fun with your kids. Congrats on getting the house done!! Let us know about your time at Kathryn's today! Have a blessed week ahead!!

16 blessings'mom said...

Carol, I love spring, we northerners appreciate it so much. I hope you get some sun too.
Diana, I honestly wasn't paying too much attention to the milkshake making, but they looked yummy...I saw ice cream, and whipped cream...looked good. Kansas has no spring, eh? New York has such a short season of really hot temps. Winter lasts from October to May, ha, with some fake springs thrown in, wherein we wear shorts and drive with the windows down. Then June, July, August....ahhh....I don't mind some warmth...but honestly, 70, 75 is good enough, with some sun and a breeze.
Terri, that house is all but done, just needs to be cleaned up...sawdust, ect. You have a good week too!

Marilyn said...

Hello Della!

What a lovely picture of you and your girls!! So lovely you could have a nice supper together. My husband and I were asked for ID in a restaurant in Salt Lake City about 5 years ago 😳 Their policy to ask everyone! We were both up there in our 70’s!!!

The house is getting there!!!! 🥳😘 It looks so nice. Too bad you can’t find a family you know to rent to and appreciate all you have done.

Your supper sounds like a fun affair I have to say. How was the brisket? I bet it was delicious. And milk shakes…..oh yum!!!

I going to look at some plants etc today. Hanging baskets I think. I have always put planters along the deck rail, but the wind seems to have battered them to smithereens the last few years, so not going to do that anymore. I have pots out the front. I love flowers. I’m not sure if my rose bushes have made it through the winter. I’m going to give them a good pruning. They look a bit pathetic.

Anyway enough about me!!! 🤣🤣 You have a lovely day!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦