summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

never a dull moment...

 It started as an ache, turned into a throb, but it didn't ruin my day:  a tooth that was crowned a long time ago, a crowned tooth that has given me trouble time and again through the years, but I've ignored, because it usually works, and it's what I do best.  (years ago, the orthopedic dr. looked at the X-rays of my knees, filled with arthritis, and asked, AREN'T YOU IN PAIN?!   Well, yes, I replied, but I've given birth to X amount of children, and I'm fat, pain is part of life!).  But this pain that woke me up yesterday...um, no ignoring it.  I finally took three ibuprofen, and had some relief.  Hmm, I thought, I might not have to call the dentist....but, this morning I woke up and made the phone call.  Lucky me, I can go in tomorrow.  I am a drama queen, I know it, but having that crown put on was worse than the worse childbirth pain I ever had.  He kept putting it back on, having me bite down, and if it wasn't quite right, he'd yank it off and file it down again.  This was when I was pregnant for Camille, but thought I had miscarried her, so may as well have the tooth taken care of...the entire experience was awful.  Not knowing I was still pregnant, still being exhausted and nauseous and overall yucky, I thought I was just mourning the pregnancy loss.  Anyway, ssshhh, here's the It's My Fault part:  it was awful when he yanked it off and filed it again, so the last time he had me bite down, it still wasn't right, but I insisted it was fine.  I wanted it DONE.  I was tipped back so far in the chair, thought I was going to be sick, it didn't so much hurt as it was just so uncomfortable and the grinding sound and the yanking...ugh.  So I said it was fine, and it's never been fine.  I've ignored it for 16 years.  I'd get a little abscess here and there, they'd go away, and I'd be FINE.  So I'm not sure what'll happen tomorrow.  Will I need a root canal?  Will it magically clear up with the antibiotics he called in, and I won't need anything done?  What?  I can hope.  

Yesterday was a wonderful day, despite the ache in my face.  Sonja and I took a quick trip to Walmart for ice, snow cone syrup, and drinks.  We stopped for iced Americanos, and headed home, with coffees for Margaret and Kathryn, who came bustling in the door right after we arrived, with Rhys and little Jamison. Their husbands had taken the boys fishing with Paul.  Evelyn came over too, then Sam (Grace is visiting her parents in West Virginia with Grant and Ruth). 

I had put ribs and wings in the smoker in the morning, and those wings were done! I took them out, put them on the grill, slathered them with barbecue sauce, and oh dear they were good!  We ate some on the pool deck.  The boys came back, then Emily and Mariel, then Molly and Josh and Ophelia (Lydia was with her dad).   Paul grilled steaks, hamburgers, coneys (the NY white spicy hot dogs), we had watermelon, two different macaroni and cheese (Evelyn's with spicy gouda, and Kathryn's), salt potatoes, chocolate chip cookies (Mariel!), cupcakes...

I wish I took pictures better.  9 of the 11 girls were here (all but Abigail and Suzanne).  Sam was the only of the boys here.  

Achilles
Tennyson
That's Miss Cam floating, kept the leg dry, she's nimble at getting in, and the little ones didn't splash her.
Kathryn with her kids...Rhys, baby Jamie, and Achilles
We roasted marshmallows and had s'mores...Tennyson.
See what I mean about the pictures?  rather random...Paul, Emily, Molly Rose, Darius with his baby Jamison.
Adrian and Sam, then Evelyn, Char, Cam
Ophelia loved the snow cone.  It's like ice cream, she said. 
Kitchen snap:  Mariel in the plaid, Sonja in the back, then Evelyn, Kathryn, and Char with baby Jamie.
Snow cone machine!  And, Adrian, Sam, ect.

We sat by the fire in the evening, what a beautiful night, clear skies, clear half mooned brightness.  The house was a mess when everyone left, but the girls here helped and we got it mostly cleaned.  The floors need vacuuming and mopping, sweeping.  There are towels to wash, and flowers to water, and the pool needs to be turned on and skimmed.  The new grill needs to be cleaned, and the smoker needs to be cleaned out.  (Did I mention how absolutely yummy those ribs were?  Smoked for four hours, then slathered in bbq sauce, wrapped in foil, and smoked a few more hours...mmmm)

Well, my coffee is gone and my conscience is niggling, there are things to do.  I should go pick up that antibiotic, too.  I like my comfy chair, but the sun is shining...but also, my face is aching, the tooth is killing.  wah, poor me, ha.  

This afternoon, Sonja is going in for a study session, and I might drive her and drop her off, and go visit Robert's grave...it's been a while.  I was going to pick up some little t-shirts from the craft store, too, for Activity club tonight...ah well...have a really good day!

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Toothaches are simply awful! You seem to be taking it in stride but I hope you get through the time until your appointment as pain free as possible. For your sake, I hope your dentist can fix that tooth up once and for all, for you!

Marilyn said...

Good morning 😊

I’m sorry to hear about your tooth. Ug! It really shouldn’t hurt to put a crown on so not sure what the problem was. I have 9 I think………more than the king 🀣🀣🀣…..……and I don’t recall any hurting. Maybe I was lucky. Good luck tomorrow πŸ₯°

I love all the pictures………happy times! Times to treasure for sure.

Have a fabulous day!!

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Billie Jo said...

Hello, lovely friend! You are Superwoman. Tooth Pain is the worst!!!! Prayers it heals itself, and you can skip all the rest. Your day looked fantastic, full of family, food, and fun. Nothing better!!!!

Mari said...

I'm sorry about the tooth. Tooth pain is so awful! Take you antibiotics and get better quick!
Looks like you had a great day with family.

Latane Barton said...

Good luck on your tooth! That is one of my biggest dreads... going to the dentist. Saying a prayer for that pain to just go away and stay gone!!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your tooth! How awful πŸ˜” Hope it can get fixed for good this time.
Hugs
Valerie

Jan said...

Hope you can be pain free soon! I hate tooth pain-maybe that's why I have a mouth full of root canals and 3 implants! If it starts hurting I want it fixed yesterday!

16 blessings'mom said...

Maureen, thank you!
Marilyn, don't tell me this? Is it my dentist? hmmm. Or, am extremely sensitive to pain? Maybe it was the combination of being pregnant and having it done? You have more crowns than the king, that's rather funny, but wow!
Billie Jo, I don't like dentists, trying really hard not to panic here....:)
Mari :)
Latane, thank you!
Valerie, thank you!
Jan, it does make you thankful to live in this day and age, can you even imagine a hundred years ago? ugh.

Deb said...

UGH! I've been plagued by dental problems my whole life. I've been told I have weak teeth, no matter how much I brush and floss and rinse. Bad dental experiences as a child have instilled that deep fear of going to the dentist, even just for cleanings. It's like a vicious cycle: if I could get myself to go for regular cleanings I could avoid some of the other problems but I can't get myself to go. And now with diabetes I'm supposed to be even more on top of things but, UGH!

Hopefully whatever they end up doing isn't too unpleasant. =)