summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, May 19, 2023

stayed home all day long!

 Staying home is nice, why don't I do it more often?  Charlotte Claire had/took the day off from school, so I didn't need to get up at 6:30, but then there was still water aerobics...then I got a message that it was cancelled, as the lifeguard had to leave for some reason.  I still got up, but more leisurely.  Coffee, feet up, morning crossword puzzle, ahhh.  Then vacuuming (I had washed the filter for the little Dyson canister, the one I bought on Mother's Day like four years ago, for sixty dollars, I love it)(The filter was dry, so I could use it again),  window washing, dusting, washed towels, some clothes, some blankets.  Then I changed into my painting clothes, and painted the trim around the back door, the front door, and the deck door.  Paul had bought one last new door for the house we are all but finished re-doing, it was primed but needed a coat of paint, so I painted that.  It kept me busy for most of the day, but I did sit in one of the comfy chairs on the deck and put my feet up for a bit.

Random:  Ten children went to school, once upon a time.  Emily, Abigail, and Benjamin had already gone on to college, and Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille were too small for school.   In this old pic, that's Aaron in the blue, Molly next to him, Joseph in the back, Sam in therein, then lovely Mariel...then those five-girls-in-a-row-in-five years,Margaret in the bright pink and hair down, Suzanne with the pink and pink skirt, then Sonja in the middle, then Kathryn in the orange, then Evelyn...(age order:  Mariel, Joseph, Aaron, Molly Rose, Samuel, Margaret,Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja)
We went to Old Navy yesterday. Sonja let Rhys walk, and Camille held baby Jamison.

Rhys rode in my cart in Target, and oops, she was tired!
Camille has made macarons for the fourth time:  chamomile tea with salted honey chamomile Swiss meringue buttercream filling, this time.  I hadn't tried any of the previous ones, wanted to of course, but last night, I wanted just a half of one.  Cam handed me a small one, and I thought I would just take a bite.  Ha.  We all know I shoved that whole thing in my mouth, and let me tell you:  bliss.  It was delicious.  
Mother's Day flowers from Aaron and Riley...
The pool isn't really as green as the grass, it's actually not too bad.  

I got lots of sun today, and have paint splatters on my legs and hands, so it's been a good day.  There are things to do around here that need doing, so I just need to do them.  Right now what needs doing is dinner.   The cook isn't here, again, oh wait, I'm right here!  I cannot complain, I have a few steaks to pan-fry.  We have steak WAY more than we ever did, because it's reasonable, and we only need a few.  $4.49 a pound, a half pound steak is only like two bucks, can't go wrong.  I think I'll make some potatoes too...and a salad.  I'm hungry, haven't eaten yet today....

Off I go...wait, is there a cook?  I'm so lazy, I'd like a cook today....


7 comments:

~Pam~ said...

I just love this blog post!! All of the pics, so good! I love a day at home and getting things accomplished. Have a wonderful weekend!!! xo

Terri D said...

I went to Sam's Club after work and picked up a couple of rotisserie chickens. They are SO good and only $4.98 each. I pulled them apart and froze three halves and ate part of one for my dinner. So good! I bought steaks too and froze them. I'm getting used to cooking for one now. Hated it but working it out. I did chuckle that you had a day at home and then got so much work done. Feels good but put your feet up!!

Kristi said...

How's your son doing in Germany? My daughter is going over there for 7 weeks for a study abroad opportunity this summer and I am getting nervous. She is about 2000 miles away from me for college but this seems much farther :-).

16 blessings'mom said...

Pam, thank you!
Terri, those chickens sound good, Costco has them for that price too. You cannot buy one and cook it for that price, and you don't have to cook, win-win. Putting your feet up: the best.
Kristi, he's doing okay. He's in the north near Hamburg. He's staying in a big house with fifteen other guys, mostly German, Norwegian, and one Canadian. When I FaceTime with him, he's speaking English but throwing in words in German and Norwegian. (He speaks fluent Norwegian). He signed up to go there for a year, he'll be home in August. It's been challenging at times, but he wants to stick it out. Germany is a decent country, a bit expensive. Jon likes to bake, he has to buy chocolate bars and chop them up as they only sell chocolate chips in tiny little bags, pricey. He misses the meat in America, it's more expensive there. My daughter Sonja went there for a month when she was seventeen, to stay with a friend, and traveled back home all by herself. I didn't love that part, but she did okay. Is she traveling by herself? She'll be okay, it's far away but the world is smaller now, with technology, which having her 2,000 miles away now, you certainly know. It'll be such a good experience for her. (It's hard to be a mom!)

Kristi said...

That's great to know. My girl is traveling alone. She is 20 and thinks she can take on the world, lol. She actually has booked a trip before to Italy and Greece before her school, so she can take in the sights. She has worked all year while at school so she could have money to do this. I'll be on my knees praying, a lot this summer. I'm am happy for her and her confidence and initiative.

Diana said...

I love staying home all day long! But that doesn't get me any exercise. Ha! I do not know how you keep everything straight in your house with all the constant goings-on ... I have enough trouble just caregiving for Jerry. I love all the photos of your family that you share from past years. Isn't it amazing what memories we have of our lives were back then. You are truly blessed, my friend. // I like going to Aldi for most of the cheap items. I hadn't really taken a chance on buying meats there, but recently was talking with a lady in front of me as we waited at the checkout line, She was holding several pork roasts in her arms, so I asked her about them. The price was very low, so I left the line and went back to find a small package. They had two kinds ... "seasoned" and "barbeque." I chose the seasoned. Stuck it in one of my glass pyrex bowls with a cup of water, covered with foil, and cooked in the oven for 3 hours. I think that was the best pork we've ever had! I've made fajita wraps with the pork (mixed the shredded pork with 1 pkg taco seasoning, 1 pkg fajita seasoning, added sliced cucumber and ranch dressing, rolled in flour tortillas), bbq on buns, and just plain with mashed taters. I plan to get a "few" packages when the next month rolls around. // The macaroons sounds sooooo delicious. I would definitely pop the whole darn thing in my mouth, too! LOL!! // Hugs to you!

~Pam~ said...

Happy Monday!!! xo