summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

wait, summer is too hot!

 Camille and I decided to get our swimsuits on and go back and enjoy the pool deck.  It didn't take long to remember that summer is too hot.  :). Winter is too cold, spring is just right, but it needs to be hot to warm up the pool, and for us to enjoy the pool.  

It's almost clean, really getting there.  Now it just needs to warm up, brrr.


Ah, the morning sun dappled through the trees...it IS lovely, all barefoot and all.

Anyway, Camille and I lasted about an hour, I cried uncle first.  She sat on the edge of the pool and froze her feet, I stood on the top step of the ladder and froze mine, while we got too hot and sweaty.  It is absolutely gorgeous out there, our backyard might not be a landscaped dream yard, but it IS beautiful, and very private.  

I did putter around this morning, after driving Sonja to work.   I did laundry, had to wash the clothes I bought yesterday from the thrift store.  (The bathing suit is a Maxine of Hollywood, and for $3.50!), I vacuumed the kitchen, living room, and stairs.  I swept the back patio, and pulled weeds. I swept the pool deck steps, and the front porch and sidewalk.  I washed some dishes, wiped counters, and trimmed the lovely flowers that Sonja got for graduation.  I threw away most of my Mother's Day flowers, but a few were still lively.  

Now I'm sitting in the comfortably cool house in my comfortable chair, but now for long.  Camille and I are leaving for her ortho appointment.  She had the MRI done yesterday.  Will the giant lump be fluid that has to be drained in the OR?  Will it be scar tissue?  The dr. mentioned hoping the graft didn't fail.  I hoped I heard him wrong, but Cam heard it too.  Another surgery sounds bleak, not to mention expensive.   But we'll see what he says, poor Camille. She's all ready to be healed up and enjoy summer.  She already has a plane ticket to go to Norway with her sisters for a summer church camp.  And it's not as if the airlines will say, Oh honey, you have a boo-boo on your leg, of course we'll refund you money...

I forgot to post the pics of our Saturday thrift store trip with Emily...

Emily (the oldest), Camille (the youngest), Sonja K. (#13), and Charlotte Claire (#16, counting baby Robert...)

This weekend, we're having a mission feast at our church, and the older ones (over 35) are making/grilling/smoking/preparing a cookout meal for the younger ones.  Emily and I are doing barbecued chicken, and I'm making a dessert.  I was thinking a white sheet cake with whipped cream and berries, but then you have to have plates, utensils, and serve it.  Cupcakes are so simple.  Not sure yet what I'll do, but it'll be fun.

Then on Monday, some of the family will be over to swim and grill, and maybe we'll go to the parade in town.  It's at three in the afternoon though, wish it was in the morning.  (the heat of the day!)

Camille and I are planning to stop at Walmart on the way home today, for a grill cover, a new grill brush, and some nail primer for her, and a gallon of milk.  We wouldn't last long on the prairie, back in Laura Ingall's time, would we?  I marveled at how they fit everything they owned into one wagon.  

Ah well...time to get moving...:)


1 comment:

Terri D said...

I have fond memories of Memorial Day parades when I was in HS marching band. They were always in the morning so your afternoon parade makes no sense! LOL Your pool time and the church cookout all sound amazing. Hugs!