summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, May 5, 2023

and sunny days are around the corner...

 ...I saw where someone decided no more titles for their blog, hmmm.  Almost 16 years of posting at least a few times a week, thinking of a title can be a royal pain.  

Anyway, yesterday was fun.  We made it just on time, as Paul worked up until we went out the door.  I was in the car waiting for him, a little worried we wouldn't find a parking spot, mostly that we would have to walk way too far in the rain.  I could have saved myself the trouble, we got a really good spot.  The kindergarteners were all filing down the hall, and we were told to just get in line behind them to go upstairs to the auditorium.  Elise was the last kindergartener in the last class, so we got to get in line right behind her!  

She was very excited that we were there.  Up a big flight of stairs, and into a line with the other grandparents and special friends.  I had the nigglings of a pesky ocular migraine in the car, then by the time I was in line, the full zig zag lines in my periphery, both eyes, which is supposed to be a good thing.  They don't last long, and I've driven through one without much trouble.  I wonder if anxiety brings them on.  

She read use some books, in her quiet little voice, in that big auditorium filled with other kindergarteners reading other books.  We took turns and read some of the pages too.  Our friend Dennis was sitting behind us with his granddaughter Tiffany, so that was fun.  He introduced himself to another little kid, and said, "My name is Grandpa!"  Then Elise said, "I know the name my mommy was called when she was a little girl.  It was Ashely.  And my dad was called Ben."  too cute.

We headed to the cafeteria for lunch, foregoing the lunch line with it's six dollar hamburger or hot dog with salad, baked beans, apple crisp (which is SO nice of the school to have a special lunch available!  I think a lot of the older people enjoy it, it's kind of like going back in time, and going through the lunch line).  I just brought two apples and a baggie of almonds in my purse, and Paul had his water bottle. Elise is a perfect little lunch eater, the lunch lady came over and told us so.   The dreaded challenging beam-me-up moment was maneuvering and sitting my plentiful rear quarters on the tiny little stool, a stool the size of a dinner plate, and not much more than knee high.  The stools are attached to the tables,  so the whole table could collapse easily in one's mind as one tries to ease down like it's not a huge-0 deal.  Yay, the table is still standing, and here I sit, I did it.  But...the age old question:  how on earth am I going to get up?  The cafeteria is filling with more and more excited kindergarteners and more and more grand parents and special friends...our friend Dennis came in with his lunch tray and his granddaughter, and wondered loudly if he would break the stool...Tiffany, to whom whispering is unknown, yelled, "Grandpa, all those other grandparents didn't break the chairs!"



We got the five minute warning, lunch was almost over, it was time to heave, and it worked, I got up from the table, oh my goodness.  We had permission to sign Elise out, and as we headed to our car, which had her car seat in it, she said,"This has been the best day."

We drove Paul home, came in to see the pups, and Aunt Sonja, and Aunt Camille (she had her ear buds on in her room and didn't hear us knock or yell, so we scared her, and Elise thought that was pretty funny.)
We headed to her house to hand out, see the new train set they have set up in the play room, visit with baby Declan, have coffee with Ashley...then go to the little Mennonite store for some ice cream.  

Kathryn was here with Achilles, Rhys, and baby Jamison when I got home.  I don't mind rocking a baby, hand him over!  

This fine day, I'm headed to the pool, then I'm picking Char up early from school because she has a HUGE exam today in AP history, and when she's done, she doesn't want to sit through English, so yes, I'll go get her.  She's been hyped about this test, studying and fretting.  We are going out to dinner tonight, I am so excited, to celebrate Sonja's birthday with some of her sisters:  Kathryn, Evelyn, Char, Cam, and...me (and Sonja of course!). We're stopping at a winery first, because she's 21!  I'll be driving, and of course Char and Cam will just enjoy the scenery.  

Ah well...time to hurry hurry hurry to get to the pool...I absolutely hate getting there late and walking all the way along the pool deck, to the back corner where the entrance ramp to the water is, when everyone's already there in the pool.  I do not care what I look like in my swim dress, but...it's still not pleasant.  

So, off I go...have a wonderful weekend...we're working on the house tomorrow again, got to finish up!  The sun will be shining, our forecast is for some sunny days, dry up all this rain!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful confident person. Never let your inner self try to tell you anything else. No one is judging you. Your body has given and nurtured life! Embrace all that you are and all that you have been given and what you give! Acceptance of self is truly the best way to spread love in this world. I enjoy your blog. Thank you for writing it.

Marilyn said...

Hi 👋

What a lovely time with little Elise! So special ☺️ I would be like you with with the tiny chair at the tiny table 😬 She is just so sweet. I’m sure you all had fun out for Sonja’s birthday supper. Always fun to go out with the girls for supper.

Have a lovely weekend!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

~Pam~ said...

Hi Della! It has been so good catching up here on your blog. What a fun time and great pics!! Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

So excited for the sun to be out a few days. We have a bridal shower on Sunday for my son's fiance - I'm making sandwiches 😁
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...

Anonymous: I usually don't publish anonymous comments, but yours is very kind, and thank you. These things I say on my blog I don't usually verbalize, as I have these impressionable daughters, and I see very clearly that they are absolutely beautiful beings, and it kills me when they are so self conscious. We, as women, do need to build each other up more, so thank you for such kind words. :)
Marilyn, I think those little kindergartners just got the biggest kick out of us scrunching on those seats. And yes, fun to go out with the girls.
Pam, thank you!
Valerie, how fun and exciting!!! Yes, we're in for some sunny days!

Joybells said...

This post makes me so happy. What lovely pictures of you and Paul with Elise. She is precious and I love that you got to spend the day with her! My youngest (8) likes to read to me before bed...so sweet. She says she doesn't remember a time when she didn't know how to read. LOL. Now she devours books! But I remember reading to her every night, not so very long ago. :)

Joy from Salem