summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, May 16, 2011

scary phone calls

What is a scary phone call? How about one from the hospital radiology department wanting me to go back in for a sonogram because of the results of my recent mammogram. What???! I told this nice caller that my dr. office already called me and said the mammo looked fine...no, this nice caller insisted, I need a follow-up ultrasound. Why?? hmm, she said, Let me check....Okay, here it is...strong family history. I asked if there was anything that showed up on the mammogram that is leading to this follow-up, and no, just the family history. Now why in the heck didn't they just do this when I went in last week? I have to take that big van to the small parking garage again!!! rrrr.

And yes, in the moments I waited for this nice caller to check on WHY I had to come back in, I remained calm cool and collected as always. Okay, I didn't exactly plan my funeral....but. but. The thoughts do come quickly, at least with me.

So tomorrow, no lying around the house reading novels and drinking coffee, off to the hospital again.

And today, off to the airport in the big city far from here to pick up Mrs. Ashley. I mapquested the mall and Target nearby, just in case Evelyn and Margaret, today's schoolskippers, were interested.....(the school will never understand how much a day with Mom means to kids from a big family)

It is very chilly and rainy and overcast. I made English Muffins for the little girls, cinnamon raisin and honey wheat, and let them eat them on a big comfy blanket while watching some educational tv....I would love an English muffin or a bagel right about now.

But. The scale budged a little bit, I am down 16 and a half pounds altogether in the seven weeks I have suffered and toiled and denied myself. I was thankful that it budged a little more, because when I read about reaching plateaus, I get confused. Am I eating too little? Too much? Do I need to exercise twice as much, or have cheat days? blah. I am just going to keep on doing what I am doing....

I did have six chicken wings last night with dinner. I had only a taste of the chicken RiceA roni, a whole pile of cooked spinach, some cucumbers and carrots....but the wings were so good. I bake them in the oven with the convection on, so they get nice and crispy. Then I put half in a mixture of Frank's hot sauce and butter, and the other half in barbecue sauce, put them back in the oven for a while....yummy yummy yum.

Frozen spinach, microwaved and served hot with no butter or salt. I love it, don't know why. I have it in place of the carbs I serve to the rest of the family, in addition to whatever veggie we are having. It is filling and nutritious. I like raw spinach in salads too.

This does not mean I have forgotten all about donuts. Or chocolate. The huge bag of chocolate chips is my friend. I sometimes take a few and eat them with a few peanuts, but I write it down. I write every single thing I eat down, even if it is a taste or a bite. It makes me think before I eat something, which is what I am aiming for....I think I can safely say I am on my way to breaking the mindless eating habit.

Paul has been trying to roto-till the spot for the garden, but we are getting so much rain it is difficult. We are also planning a party here for Mali and Aaron's graduation, when Ben is home so he can see everyone. A party here = cleaning some things up. It is a great motivator, but also stressful. The foyer that I spackled and sanded a few months back is still spackled and sanded. Now we need to paint it. Anyway...stuff to do.

Now I shall go and get ready for my trip to the bigger city down the highway....and I shall battle against the new thoughts of anxiety brought on by that nice caller from the hospital.....

4 comments:

ccc said...

Good luck--thinking of you. I panic too when a dr office calls back.

madeleine said...

Oh Della, I'm sure it's just policy, but totally understand your concern. And I know you won't feel better until you receive the 'everything's absolutely fine' phone call. Keep us posted, and enjoy your drive!

Mike and Katie said...

My husband runs a lumber yard and he has refered to the grad party rush. Stressed dads coming in the complete projects before the big party. It is a great motivator.

Tereza said...

congrats on the weight loss..you are doing very well! I'm sure the sonogram will show nothing!