summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, July 5, 2012

early morning quiet...

Suri is so cute! She is so happy and friendly, and funny. She likes the stroller, but believe me, I didn't put her in there. She has a huge fan club.

Joseph decorated the 4th of July cake with Dragonball Z, which is not what we had in mind...so:

We fixed it.

Now, having a puppy in the house is not all fun and games. My house-training method is this: watch pup like a hawk, if she starts to squat down to pee, tell her NO, bring her outside immediately...each time she goes potty outside, tell her, "go potty, good girl!", so she gets the idea that it is good to go outside. (she has already gone for me outside when I have said, "go potty".) Anyway, this pup is tough because I don't seem to see her go, and then there is a little puddle, and dang, I can't call her out on something I haven't caught her doing. I might just have to put some papers down and teach her that way.

All the running up and down the deck steps is good though, right?

The kids are helping too though. And Suri doesn't like the heat, she just wants to lie around on the kitchen floor all day when it is hot. I have been up with her for two hours now, she is settling down for a nap. We went outside three times, played with her toy rope, a plastic shovel, and when she tried to jump on the couch to get Miss Swanson Kitty, I told her, "Down, Suri!", from across the room, and she sat, then layed down on the floor. I told her she was a good girl, and she wagged her little tail, with her head rested on her paws. She does want to please, and I have been working with all the kids to never yell at her, and to use positive reinforcement, as in telling her what you want her to do instead of just saying, NO. Everyone likes praise, right?

Our Fourth of July party was fun. I grilled chicken, Aaron and Mirielle made the pasta salad, some of the girls cut up watermelon, strawberries, and cantaloupe and added some blueberries (that was gone FAST). We ate out on the deck, then cut the cake and got out some sparklers and poppers. We stayed out there until after dark, lit some candles, and relaxed. Emily joined us after a long day at work, so all the kids were here except for Benjamin - we missed him so much. Ashley was here with their doggie Baxter, who loves playing with Suri.

Today I have to deviate from my vacation rut and get dressed in actual bye-bye clothes and take Suzanne to the dentist. I have some phone calls to make, and have to get Suri a vet appointment. I am not looking forward to calling the vet. "Hi, it's Della from last week? I brought my beautiful sheepdog in and had her put down? Well, I have a new puppy already, and need to bring her in for her second set of puppy shots..." Now, in theory I don't care what anyone thinks of me. In theory. But, I find that ouch, I do care. I do not WANT to care though, so I will just swallow that pride and make the call or maybe I will change vets. ha. I have read a few articles about having one's dog euthanized, and it is never easy. Even when the dog is old and sick, it is painful. I know that because we had Champ put down, he was suffering but it was still really sad. This thing with Rosie though, it goes deeper. Because I read once that, "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners". ouch. I tried with Rosie, I really did. I think I responded to her almost too much, and she thought she was my Number One, and was jealous of the younger kids. I don't know. But no matter how cute and chubby and sweet little Suri is, my heart still aches for Rosie.


Enough tear water tea this morning.

Paul is on vacation this week, and he is a busy vacationer! He works in the garden, he cut down a few trees, he is fixing the new water-softener, he lifts his weights and sprints up and down the road, he built a "box" for Emily (for cross-fit workouts). He doesn't sit down with his coffee and zone out like I do. He likes to have all this time to do all the things he can't do when he is at work. He hasn't shaved, and has gotten quite tan. Might I mention he is looking good? Since this is a family blog and I don't want my kids to say, "Gross!!", I won't say another word.

I haven't made a pot of coffee yet, haven't had breakfast, was going to try to go for a walk first, but now I am too hungry and have been up for two and a half hours so I must eat first. Today isn't supposed to be as hot as yesterday, in the eighties instead of the nineties. Tomorrow though: 97! We are going to visit our friends for the afternoon, they have an inground pool with a diving board....

























































3 comments:

Tereza said...

That's a cute little puppy... I'm sure that in a way she does fill that hole in your heart... At least somewhat.
Sounds like your hubz is a great vacationer:) stuff will get DONE:):)
You're looking slim in your photos these days:)
Love reading about the busy life you have

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

I am swiliing as I read this because Jim is the same way. He will carry his big huge coffee and go go go. I sit down at the computer with mine.

I have to wornder how much coffee you go through a week? My guilty pleasure is dunkin doughnuts. We go through about a bag every two weeks and it is $9! cheaper then oing out to drink coffee though. That also does not include coffee creamer, and OMG now I really calculating the cost of my coffee addiction a month lol. I better stop now.

Mum said...

That cake looks delicious! Oh how I wish it was easier not to worry about what others thought. Often the assumptions made say more about the person's own worst fears and concerns. Hope you have a great weekend with your adorable puppy.