summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, July 16, 2012

off we go to the mountains....

The Adirondacks. The smell, the fresh air, the clear clean cold lakes...off we go. Our camping neighbors probably hate us already, with our puppy and all of the tents we have packed. There are two tents allowed per site. ha. We have at least six. And 6 people allowed per site. I just fill in the blanks provided and leave it at that. We have never had a problem. The monkey wrench in the monkey wrench pile is the puppy though...New York Sate Law says dogs need their rabies vaccine in the state parks...but no puppy under 12 weeks is allowed to be vaccinated yet. So, she is scheduled for her next vet appt. in a few weeks to get that. In the mean time, I am going to just not mention that we have her when I sign in at the gate, and hopefully we won't get kicked out. I can't leave her home, can't kennel her without the vaccine, blah.

We are mostly packed, now we just have the daunting task of waking all the kids who aren't up yet and getting them to eat and make themselves pretty and put all their pillows in the vans. I am sure they will be happy and cheerful with no fighting or talking back. Hey, you never know!

The drive takes 3 hours and 7 minutes, according to google maps. Translated: like five hours. Puppy pee stops and there is a huge Price Chopper in Watertown...we need lots of ice, and some fresh fruit.

There is no cell phone service up there, no internet. So goodbye for a few days.

Oh wait, I wanted to mention that Benjamin got his Combat Medic Badge...when he texted me that, I was in Price Chopper...and I felt sick because I thought one got the Combat Badge by being engaged in a firefight...but he got it for saving a guy's life. An Afghan soldier who is assigned to Ben's unit stepped on an IED and lost a leg. Benjamin had to put his training to practice. He got him stabilized and onto the helicopter.....

Well, kids are wanting me to get moving...so off we go.

1 comment:

mommeeof10 said...

One of the last time we went camping was at 4 Mile Creek State Park, about 30 minutes (17 miles) from Niagara Falls. They do not allow swimming, though they are on the shores of Lake Ontario,but you can use your parking permie from there to get into one of the other state parks in the area that has a pool/swimming.