summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

vacation hours....

um, it is almost eleven a.m., and here I sit with my first cup of coffee, scooping out the last few spoonfuls of blueberries from my oatmeal. I woke up at 6 to take Suri outside, then headed back in to lie down at seven, because Jon and Sonja were up to take over puppy duty, and I had a pounding headache. I took a few ibuprofen and finally fell back to sleep, ha, I should have just stayed up. I feel like I wasted too much time sleeping, but whatever. It felt so nice to go back to bed. I confess, I love sleep. My oldest child is 27 and the youngest is four, so I have had at least 25 consecutive years of interrupted sleep. And we all know that Rosie never let me sleep in too late. So sleep to me is just one big yummy treat. I am still not taking it for granted when I get to sleep through the night. Sometimes when I have a terrible night for some reason, I think, "Wow, I felt like this for years and years..."

Anyway, Happy Fourth Of July!!!! I remember the Bi-Centennial, the two hundredth birthday of the good old U.S.A back in 1976. I turned eleven years old that summer. My dad got me a wide brimmed straw hat with a red/white/blue ribbon on it for my birthday. (no, I did not wear it out in public.). This country is far from perfect, but I love her all the same. I am thankful I have the freedom to have so many children, to drive a big gas hog van, to write what I want on here....to go where I want when I want, to eat what I want when I want, unless of course I wanted a large soda in New York City.

Today we are having a picnic here. Chicken wings and pasta salad and watermelon and a huge chocolate/white marble cake with whipped cream and strawberries. Perhaps I will just place a large piece of duct tape over my mouth. blah.

But I will swim alot. Not enough to negate all the bad things that could slip in under the duct tape, but still. I will behave.

3 comments:

Grace said...

Della - I really enjoy your blog. It is the first one I read every morning. Happy 4th of July!

Cassandra said...

Even though I'm in Australia , happy 4th of July ;-)
Your food always sounds SOOOO yummy!!

Cassandra xx

Anonymous said...

I think with everyone working with the pup she will be just fine with the kids. The pup we currently have is a lab mix and we all loved her up when she was a newborn and she has a wonderful friendly loving personality. Suri sure is cute. Makes me miss the puppy stage. Kinda. hahaha
I love reading your blog. I think you are a fantastic mom. I also love how you are still crazy about your husband. The kids are lucky to see that in their parents.