summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, July 1, 2012

puppies and patience and paper towels

Well, I certainly am seeing just how far Rosie had come...I mean, I am reeling here. I woke up early to do puppy care, and jeepers. Little Miss Thang had peed on the floor in the kitchen. Did I really say she was going to sleep in Rosie's cage? I thought she was, but she had other ideas. She didn't like it in there one bit, even though the little girls had put a soft blanket in there and made a little puppy nest. I told her goodnight, put her in, she whined and barked (for the first time, I might add, I didn't know she knew how). Anyhoo, she peed in the cage first thing, then did a little pile. On the nice little blankey the girls put in there. blah. I thought dogs didn't do that in their cages, but then Miss Thang didn't feel much affection for the cage, so she won. She slept under the rolltop desk with a big bag of Rosie's food in front of it. It obviously didn't keep her contained, she was lying in front of it when I came into the kitchen this moring...blah.

I took her outside, she peed in the driveway, then pooped in the driveway. She does not get it. I think she was raised outside. Good thing she is so young. Anyway, with Rosie, I didn't use papers to train her, because I read that if you papertrain your dog, then you have to re-train to go outside, so I just said, "NO" everytime she started to pee, then took her outside quickly. Every time she peed outside, I said, "go potty, good girl"...she learned eventually to go when I said that so I could actually pick the place I wanted her to go when on a walk.... anyway, it is a nervewracking way to train, because we have deck stairs to go up and down...but it worked. I can use the exercise anyway. Patience, yes, that is what I need. Patience and endurance, and...paper towels.

Camille really likes the new puppy. At first she didn't want to get another dog, but when I showed her pictures online of lab puppies, she got really excited. And when we brought pup home and she saw how little and cute pup is, she was fine with it. I am going to bring this puppy lots of places with us to socialize her more than I did with Rosie.

I do wish I could just snap my fingers and have her all house trained.

But then think of the trials I would miss out on, the patience I would miss out on.

So today we are going to the beach again, with Paul this time. Last night I cut up a watermelon and a cantaloupe, chopped them in bite sized pieces and "baggied" them up. Mirielle and Suze cut up some grilled chicken and some veggies, baggied that all up. We are bringing some soft tortillas, and peanutbutter and crackers and cherries and cookies and chips. And some graham crackers and a can of frosting. Yes, that is really really yummy. Don't ask me how I know.

I have a load of towels to throw in the dryer, which I hate to do in this nice weather, but I would rather start out with dry towels at the beach.

Puppy is taking her morning nap. Yesterday at this time I didn't for the life of me know I would have another pup again so soon. Phew! Oh, she doesn't have a name yet. Mirielle wants - Cocoa Chanel, with her being called Chanel

Sonja wants Carlson

Jon wants Glen Cocoa, which is what they named the lab that came to visit us a few times a ways back, before we found the owners.

The little girl Mali babysits for wants Angelina. (She is 7 years old, Mali brings her over every day to swim and play with the little girls)

Mali wants Snowball Two.

Aaron and Joseph and Sam are camping, so they haven't told me their choices yet. In these days of internet, there are no surprises. Mirielle texted Aaron right away.

Oh well. I am enjoying the silence, none of the kids are up yet. Coffee, oatmeal with blueberries and toasted almonds...life is good!























8 comments:

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

awww. Gosh you just reminded me of all th resons that I do not want a puppy lol. I am happy that your kids are happy though. God that puppy is huge at 8 weeks lol.

Suzy said...

I am sure you don't need advise from someone you do not know, BUT that puppy will learn to love the kennel if you can just grit your teeth and leave her in it until she has learned that YOU won....not her. Walk her LAST thing before the last person goes to bed, then in she goes, maybe inside a dark closet, or cover the kennel, so that he gets the idea it is bedtime. Don't let her out if she cries. She will do it less and less each time, soon it will be a routine. I would never give her free reign of the house unless someone is there to watch every move. I even kept a leash on mine while they were potty training, and took them everywhere I went around the house. Also, it is not a good idea to leave out food & water.....good luck! SHe is a beautiful dog....(and labs chew on everything) I so enjoy your blog!

Kathyb1960 said...

That's interesting they would choose those names, b/c I was going to give you a name yesterday. Our first dog's name was CoCo. Close to the name the others picked out! That's pretty cool! Good luck w/ potty training!

AUTISMOMMA said...

When I read about crate training years and years ago, the book I read mentioned that dogs typically will not "go" in their crates if the crate is the right size. The "right" size is classified as only large enough to fit the dog while it is lying down. It suggested that if your crate is the proper size for how large you anticipate the dog being once it is an adult (so that you don't have to buy a smaller crate while it is a puppy) to place a board in the crate blocking off an area to make the crate only large enough for the dog to lie down, and then moving it as needed as the dog grows.

Hope that helps.

FLmom7 said...

The puppy is cute, hope you enjoy her:) I had a lab that we adopted from a shelter when he was about 8 months old, my daughter let him outside in our fenced yard. It was 4th of July, and the fireworks scared him so bad he dug a hole and ran away from the yard...we looked for him, called shelters for weeks after he disappeared...but we never saw him again. They are a lot of work as puppies and they really need good training or else they are wildly unmanagable, but with proper training and socialization they are great family dogs. Good luck! And hugs again about Rosie.

Archer's Mum said...

such a beautiful addition to your family :) i think you might need to call her Patience.

WicketsMom said...

Our lab puppy never did like the crate either, although my parents have one that loves hers. I am right there with you on wondering how long the potty-training was going to take. Our lab is six months old now and fully trained, but in the beginning I was thinking it was never going to happen!

At least you have the advantage of being home with them during the day, which should help. I work full-time so I think that is why it took longer than I expected with ours. She wouldn't go in her crate, but didn't know to tell us when she had to go out. We didn't do the paper training either, but cleaned up many puddles on the floor. You got 16 kids potty-trained, you can do it with the puppy too! Good luck!

Cassandra said...

I think your so brave to have a dog in the house, we have 4 dogs and they are all outside doggies ;-)
That said we have had baby lambs in the house before lol
Cassandra xx