summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, July 19, 2012

slow down, summer!!

I am being lazy this morning, ha, as opposed to every other morning when I am just a bundle of energy. I slept in because Joseph so nicely got up and drove Sam to work and took puppy outside. I rolled out of bed at a nice 8:30....and took Suri outside again. We turned on the pool filter, checked out the garden, and said good morning to Swanson Kitty, who hasn't had her kittens yet.

I washed so many dishes! Our dishwasher isn't getting them clean enough...it takes SO long to wash them all. We share the job, of course, but still. Anyway, Emily came by to take Aaron (20), Sonja (10), and Jonathan (8) on a spontaneous adventure. They are going to a waterfalls some place. The little girls are playing Barbies in their room, Suri is napping on the kitchen floor, and the rest of the kids are enjoying their summer by sleeping the day away.

We are having our annual Family Week at church next month, it is so nice to see all our friends from far away places. We run the "grill", serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus the candy and sno cones and ice cream. This year it is being managed differently, and instead of meeting together and sharing our input, it was decided by just two people. I rather liked being in on the planning, so it is a little hard for me, but oh well. For one thing, we all have to purchase t-shirts to wear while working, for our family that is alot of shirts, even though the older kids can buy their own. I usually work every day, and can't wear the same shirt...blah. I do not wear t-shirts. But...I get to choose how to take this. I do not have to be offended, I do not have to be a grumbler and a complainer! It is a really really good time to put God's word to work in my life! Strife and controversy start with small thoughts that turn to big fights, and I shall not be involved with that! I still do not like wearing t-shirts though....

Sometimes things come at us so fast, and we react. That is one thing. But when we have time to think about things, it is good to know that we are not debtors of the flesh, we don't have to live according to it. We aren't animals, growling and snapping when we feel threatened. It is such grace to be able to get victory over our own sin!!! Then we can live in peace with one another. Because, really, in the big scheme of things, does it really matter how things actually happen? Wah wah, I didn't get my own way. So what!!! God knows just what we need! He sends our trials with our best in mind! So that we can be changed!

I look at my little kids, so full of hope and innocence, and I think, "I want to be like that." I don't want life to make me bitter. I want to forgive and forget and have only good thoughts towards other people.

Anyhoo...I have to be much more careful of what I eat! If I give myself an inch, I take a mile! I don't eat "bad" things, but I can sure overeat the good things! Well, toffee peanuts aren't really good for you, but they sure are wonderful! And almonds, the calories add up quickly! I had a huge handful of Doritos the other night...they were actually an off-brand, with tons of salty cheesy stuff on them, oh heavenly yum...I could have ate the whole bag. I didn't. But I need to just stay far away from such things. Wait, I guess I do eat bad things!...not too often, but enough to make that horrid scale start inching back up...blah!

So today I will be good.

I am thinking of taking my little girls to see the movie, "Brave". But no popcorn for me.

Ahh, I just love summer....the freedom to do spontaneous things. Sitting here wiling away the day...uh-oh, pup is awake, time to take her outside quickly!


















2 comments:

mommeeof10 said...

What kind of dishwasher? Usually in mine, there is something blocking the filter in front of the disposer, when it starts to not clean properly. In the whirlpools, it is a 15 minute job to take the bottom spray arm off, clean all the crud out, then re assmble. Sometimes it needed a new chopper assembly.

Mum said...

Ah! No dishwasher!!! That is like having a baby, a couple of toddlers, and a broken pushchair. Or rather a flat tyre in our case.

I once put that drain de goop type stuff into our dishwasher's drain, let it set for an hour than ran a cycle, and it stopped gritting all the glasses.

Hope it works for you again soon.

Your summer sounds perfect. Just making memories.