summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 11, 2018

momming me to death....

I didn't have all these kids because I wanted to feel needed. Actually, since you asked, here's why I DID have all these kids: We trusted that God knew what we needed. So in that, I was freed out from all the figuring and timing, the decision making, and accepting the children as they came was a blessing for us. I am NOT saying it was without trials or temptations, of course not. Anxiety permeates us as human beings, either you battle it, or it owns you, ha.

Anyway. Abigail bought me a coffee mug, it says, "Who are all these kids and why are they calling me MOM?! This fine morning, I got a text from one of my high school daughters, MOM, I forgot my chemistry binder. Oh, that's too bad, I texted back. In the mean time, I'm getting dressed, deciding not to walk in the pouring rain, thinking about pumpkin spice coffee, letting the dogs out, but I was NOT thinking about getting dressed, brushing my tangly hair, and driving to the high school. blah. Then I had a thought: I'll just bring it to her. And be good about it. That's the hard part for me, I am a really good complainer. I can just hear myself..."then I had to get dressed, and go out in the rain, and go into the school..."

But what if, I thought, I just do it, and be thankful that I can be good, and get victory over complaining? What a plan! It makes me happy, even though believe me, I don't feel like going. I just want to sit here and write!

Yesterday, we picked Kathryn up from the airport. We had a dilemma, we couldn't all fit in the minivan, so Jonathan stayed home, which killed me, but he is old enough, at 14 and a half. It was safer than double buckling. We had Char and Cam, little two year old Anne, three year old Lydia, Anne's 6 year old brother Davian who had an earache, me, and had to leave a seat for Kathryn.

We stopped at that wonderful little bakery...

Anne wanted a cookie, and she wanted it NOW. I don't blame her, I did too.




The donuts...I totally was the Donut Mangler, knifing off little tastes. Oh heavenly yummers!

Having small children here during the day keeps me hopping, especially because Lyd and Anne have discovered they can chase each other around and jump on the couch. But they are also very cuddly:

I walked three days in a row, but this morning, it's pouring rain, and very warm and humid. My excuse: I don't want to wear a rain coat and be so hot, and my sneakers will get soaked and and and. :(


Sunny is a good dog. She's not perfect, but she's gentle and sweet. Orange Guy likes Sunny. They're friends.




Anyway...time to get dressed and venture out in the rain to bring that chemistry binder to school...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to your thoughts about bringing the binder yet complain about it. It is so easy to do and so tempting but being aware is the best thing so we just have to try better each time. Good on you!

Looove the little girls' looks on their faces as you read them the book.

Simone

Marilyn said...

Such a good mum to go out in the rain to deliver that binder to your daughter! You are a GREAT mum in every way in my opinion. You seem to put a lot of importance on everything your children do. Now you have little ones again with Lydia and Anne. How lucky they are to have you in their lives now. It will keep you young having littlies around again............hopefully they nap in the afternoons so you can recharge! 😂😂 Have a great day Della 🤗

Marilyn from Canada