summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 15, 2018

moving and moving and moving...

No, we're not moving out of our house, although I have often thought that would be a good way to clean it. We're moving rooms around...Jon moving to Char and Cam's room, because they're moving to Joe's old room, and Sonja moving to the room Jon is leaving. Joe's room is the first one to be worked on, it's been painted,a soft almost lavender-y gray, mostly by Charlotte Claire and Camille, and cousin Danielle. They re-painted the trim a nice crisp white. Now they're moving their stuff in, sorting clothes and toys along the way. I have a huge bag to go through, I told them to bag up all they don't want, and I'll decide whether it's thrift store or garbagio.

When their room is empty, it'll be time to repaint it, and put in new floors before Jon moves in. When it's all finished and he moves in, it'll be time to do the room he's in now, paint and new floors. And it's not like there is extra time do to these things, it all has to be fit in to the busy days...

But it doesn't end there. The kitchen floor will be replaced one of these days, which entails ripping out all the tile. Then the foyer, ceiling painted, walls painted, front door...and I want to replace the carpet on the stairs, and put the fake-y wood flooring over the tile down there, because it's so cold, and a few are cracked. Wood seems warm, even if it's fake wood. Some of it looks so real though.

Paul has to help me with the foyer, and heck, it's hunting season, so blah. He is going to take down the chandelier, which is covered with years worth of dust, so I can clean it and paint it. Hmm, antique-y white, or bronze? Or maybe black? He'll paint the ceiling, and help with the painting, it's so high and hard to reach, and ladders and me, we just don't mix. It's bad enough standing on a chair. I did all the high trim on the top of the walls in the girls' new room, painting as far as I could reach, getting off the chair, getting more paint, moving and getting back on the chair...it is a work out!

Also, the main bathroom...I am going to paint it, re-paint the vanity, and maybe venture to paint the countertop. It's burgundy laminate, which was a good idea back in 1990, when I picked it out. I bought two new faucets for the sinks in there, the ones we have are leaky and old and actually falling apart. I paid too much for the ones I got, but they are so cute, burnt bronze, and I think it's worth it. I can't wait to do work in there.

Also, new roof blue roof. We have a new metal roof, pieces all wrapped up, sitting next to the driveway in the yard. All ready to install, a blue roof. But again, it's hunting season, ha.

But the days are filled with small children once again, as I watch Anne two days a week and have Lydia lots of days too. :)

Also, all these projects cost money, of course. We go as cheaply as possible, but even paint adds up. But oh my goodness, the difference a coat of paint makes! It cheers a room right up! And, I don't exactly know HOW to install flooring. But I suppose I'll learn. I need to buy the stuff for the first room soon, because it's supposed to acclimate to the house for a few days before installation, which the kids thought I fooling them about, but it's true.

Anyway, it's not boring here, that's for sure.



1 comment:

T.L. said...

I'd be interested to have your opinion about the new roof. my husband also wants to install a new metal roof on our house.

I love to read your "ramblings" about kids growing up. My oldest is 8 and I am trying to cherish every minute. even the stressful dinner give way to fun bedtime stories. it's going by so fast!