summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, September 12, 2019

...didn't mean it that way...

Things don't always translate from the page properly. Yesterday, when I reflected here on 9/11, I took my own moment of silence. But when you read my post, it seems I skipped right to the frippery, as if it were just a lighthearted happening. That is not how I meant it.

Have you seen the pic of the actress, taken in NYC? She has a blouse that shows more than it hides, a big smile, and she captioned it something about 9/11. um. no.

One thing I always think of on 9/11 is when we worked at the concert amphitheater, and the tipsy customers would request a cider which is made by a local apple orchard. It's called "1911", referring to the first year of the orchard's existence. Well, those customers would come up and ask for a 9/11. "I'll have a nine-eleven...no, gimme two..." I was dumbfounded. Did they really think someone would name a hard cider for that tragic happening?

Anyway.

It's a very cozy morning, which is my favorite kind. The rain and the darkness, and the chilly edge to the day, making it a perfect coffee/blogging morning. The girls have headed out the door to school, and Anne will be here soon. Jonathan is still homeschooled, he has a huge stack of books, and he learns math from Khan Academy. He is supposed to be up already, but it is a good morning for sleeping.

I stayed up too late finishing my book last night, which is my usual when Paul is out of town. We need a trip to the library soon. Jonathan is finishing up his book too.

Did you ever wonder what this world would be like if each and every person had even a tiny bit of self-acknowledgement? If each one put others first, was more patient, a bit kind, maybe a bit forgiving...?

The news is depressing. A teenager in Florida stole her parents' credit card, and paid two guys to murder them. Child abuse, drugs, theft, corruption, abortion. I cannot do a thing about all of that mess, but I CAN be more patient, and I CAN open my home when I don't really feel like it, I CAN forgive and apologize and make someone a cup of tea. God has been so good to me, and I am thankful! Being thankful is the best weapon we have to fight sin and unhappiness.

It's such a big lie, to have in the back of the mind, that someday when all my ducks are in a row, I'll be happy. When I figure things out, when I lose this weight, when we get our new floors, when our loan is paid off, when we get a new van, then things'll be really good. But guess what? TODAY, this MOMENT, this is life! This! NOW! It IS the day that the Lord has made. Waiting in line, waiting in traffic, running hither tither and nye, and grumping all the way through it is a WASTE of YOUR life!

Anyway...time to throw in a load of laundry and sweep the floor. I have spend half my life sweeping the floor, ha.

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Good morning Della 🌞 ............ it’s sunny here after 3 horrible days. Not too warm yet though ...only 9c 😬. You are right about forgiveness. I always feel that forgiveness AND kindness are so important. Both can be hard sometimes though, can’t they, but if you hang onto a grudge the only one who suffers is you. Right? Sometimes we have to forgive for ourselves. How are the little girls liking school now after a week or so? Hopefully they are enjoying it as much as they hoped they would. Good for Jon having a sleep in. Boys never get enough sleep I read. Im off for a haircut soon.......and a colour.......I sometimes think I will grow my hair out, but it is such a dead mouse grey.........eeeewww!! My sister in law has this beautiful white hair and it really suits her. No....mine has to be coloured......a nice soft blonde........dead mouse 🐁 is not very flattering or attractive 🤣🤣 Have a lovely day!

Marilyn from Canada

terre said...

i shared a paragraph you wrote. found it to be especially perfect for me today.

'Child abuse, drugs, theft, corruption, abortion. I cannot do a thing about all of that mess, but I CAN be more patient, and I CAN open my home when I don't really feel like it, I CAN forgive and apologize and make someone a cup of tea. God has been so good to me, and I am thankful! Being thankful is the best weapon we have to fight sin and unhappiness.'

terre

Billie Jo said...

Hello!
So nice to meet you!
What a beautiful family and a lovely space here.
I am happy to be your newest follower!
Happy Autumn!

Carol said...

Oh how I understand being more patient. I find that one is of my biggest fault is that I am so impatient. For some reason it seems that I have always had so much to do that my days need to be filled with projects and I find that I never enjoy the little moments. I am working on it though.